Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by Dave Cahill »

The highpoint of the match was DOC calling the refs footwear tackies, then having to tranlsate for the non Cork/Limerick speakers
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 5:30 pm The highpoint of the match was DOC calling the refs footwear tackies, then having to tranlsate for the non Cork/Limerick speakers
And the lowpoint was Hugh Cahill explaining to BT viewers in GB that RTÉ is a "local broadcaster". East Coast Radio is a "local broadcaster", RTÉ is a "national broadcaster", you effin' muppet!!!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Very enjoyable victory today, notching up 4 wins from 4 in Europe, and moving on the knockout stages for the 20th time in 24 seasons.

Along with that, Zebo’s brace secures his position as the top Irishman in the list of all time top try scorers in the HC, and within touching distance of becoming the top try scorer of all time.

I know I am like a broken record at this stage, but it is great to see the squad development process in full swing.
The Munster squad that just racked up 6 tries in a European match had 23 IQ players, 17 of whom came through the Munster Academy.
Said 23 also contained 10 players who were 24 or under.

Granted a few of those selections are injury enforced, but this highlights the development that has taken place.
Due to a large number of academy players graduating to the senior ranks, along with an impressive clearout within the squad, the next player off of the rank is a young homegrown talent.

Things will definitely get more difficult from now on, so I will enjoy this achievement while I can.

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Simon Zebo; Ben Healy, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O'Mahony (capt), Jack O'Donoghue, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Josh Wycherley, John Ryan, Fineen Wycherley, John Hodnett, Craig Casey, Jack Crowley, Alex Kendellen.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

munster#1 wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 7:37 pm Very enjoyable victory today, notching up 4 wins from 4 in Europe, and moving on the knockout stages for the 20th time in 24 seasons.

Along with that, Zebo’s brace secures his position as the top Irishman in the list of all time top try scorers in the HC, and within touching distance of becoming the top try scorer of all time.

I know I am like a broken record at this stage, but it is great to see the squad development process in full swing.
The Munster squad that just racked up 6 tries in a European match had 23 IQ players, 17 of whom came through the Munster Academy.

Granted a few of those selections are injury enforced, but this highlights the development that has taken place.
Due to a large number of academy players graduating to the senior ranks, along with an impressive clearout within the squad, the next player off of the rank is a young homegrown talent.

Things will definitely get more difficult from now on, so I will enjoy this achievement while I can.

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Simon Zebo; Ben Healy, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O'Mahony (capt), Jack O'Donoghue, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Josh Wycherley, John Ryan, Fineen Wycherley, John Hodnett, Craig Casey, Jack Crowley, Alex Kendellen.
Thought Barron had a good game. Plus that was the best performance by Loughman, that I've seen.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

riocard911 wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 8:12 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 7:37 pm Very enjoyable victory today, notching up 4 wins from 4 in Europe, and moving on the knockout stages for the 20th time in 24 seasons.

Thought Barron had a good game. Plus that was the best performance by Loughman, that I've seen.
Agreed, Barron looks like a good prospect. I would like to see him bulk up a bit more as he is fairly slight.

Loughman is a player who has had a few very good outings in red, but also a lot of very average outings.
Injury has not been his friend, so perhaps a good run injury free would see him come good.

I haven’t watched the match back yet, and you do miss a bit when you attend a game, but for me Murray was very good, as was Haley, Conway, Beirne, POM and Coombes.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

munster#1 wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 9:41 pm
Agreed, Barron looks like a good prospect. I would like to see him bulk up a bit more as he is fairly slight.

Loughman is a player who has had a few very good outings in red, but also a lot of very average outings.
Injury has not been his friend, so perhaps a good run injury free would see him come good.

I haven’t watched the match back yet, and you do miss a bit when you attend a game, but for me Murray was very good, as was Haley, Conway, Beirne, POM and Coombes.

I just watched the first half so far. That was some half from Healy.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

dropkick wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 10:11 pm
Second half was dire. I think Tom Youngs' injury shook up both sets of players. You could see how it would.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

dropkick wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 10:11 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 9:41 pm

I won’t get a chance to watch it again until tomorrow, but from talking to a few of the lads it would seem like you are spot on.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

A lot of impressive parts. Far from a full performance. As expected a lot of younger players are getting a run and surprise surprise they’re more than capable at this level.

Best performance I’ve seen by Healy. Loughman too.
Loved that carry from Buckley at the end. Barron is a tidy nuts n bolts hooker too..good footwork…..I’m quite happy to see minutes given there for the rest of the season
Murray had a sharp game too. If he’s not told to kick the leather off the ball he has plenty to add…..I’ll be shocked if a new coaching set up doesn’t get more out of him.

I think the injury had a massive effect on the game if I’m honest. Hope the fella is ok

Still a long way from the levels of attacking depth and ruthlessness that the other 3 provinces are currently showing….however the belligerence is still there. Jp Ferreira will be a big loss.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Murray was definitely much improved yesterday. Hopefully Faz can get the best out of him.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The42 / rugby doing another 'fan with a column' piece today and characterising Healy as akin to Larkham. Dream on, this was a team emerging from the nightmare of their two previous, albeit winning, performances and starting to learn how to play rugby with continuity and tempo. When they can bring that to fruition, they will be real challengers for silverware. However, still a distance to go and big wins against disinrerested opponents won't paper over the current deficiencies.

https://www.the42.ie/the42-rugby-weekly ... 9-Jan2022/
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 24th, 2022, 2:42 pm The42 / rugby doing another 'fan with a column' piece today and characterising Healy as akin to Larkham. Dream on, this was a team emerging from the nightmare of their two previous, albeit winning, performances and starting to learn how to play rugby with continuity and tempo. When they can bring that to fruition, they will be real challengers for silverware. However, still a distance to go and big wins against disinrerested opponents won't paper over the current deficiencies.

you could say the same on Saturday when ye were tickling bath for fun. …. You can only beat what in front of you. Wasps beat Toulouse and Leicester the two previous weekends. I’m not denying deficiencies btw and I’m more than keen to boot van der manager and his Aussie coach for their conservatism. But there is a good few younger lads who are starting to put their hand up. The truth is we’re neither as bad as we were criticised for the castres game nor as good as the score line suggests yesterday.

I think Healy could be a decent option if we either had a second five eighth type at 12 or a playmaker at 15. You can clearly see how much pressure lowry takes off burns for ulster for example. However we have neither currently.

More than anything we need a front row
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 24th, 2022, 2:42 pm The42 / rugby doing another 'fan with a column' piece today and characterising Healy as akin to Larkham. Dream on, this was a team emerging from the nightmare of their two previous, albeit winning, performances and starting to learn how to play rugby with continuity and tempo. When they can bring that to fruition, they will be real challengers for silverware. However, still a distance to go and big wins against disinrerested opponents won't paper over the current deficiencies.

This is a quote from Eoin Toolan who is one of the best analysts I've heard. He is an actual video analyst working in the Japanese pro league.

You seem quite unwilling to give Munster any credit for a good performance?

Healy was really good in first half.

Doesn't paper over some of the recent awful performances from Munster, but it's a clear step in the right direction if they can continue it.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I think general skills levels and habit would do more than a couple of players.

The real magic of offloads isn't the person throwing them, it's the people doing the work to receive them.

Big name coaches don't do that so much. They're working with this weekends team to win this weekends match. A skills coach who's focused on working with the others over a longer term will really develop players and playing style.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: January 24th, 2022, 4:36 pm

This is a quote from Eoin Toolan who is one of the best analysts I've heard. He is an actual video analyst working in the Japanese pro league.

Doesn't paper over some of the recent awful performances from Munster, but it's a clear step in the right direction if they can continue it.
We're not allowed draw attention to pundit hyperbole anymore? Pity because calling Healy's performance Larkhamesque was as big as they come.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote: January 24th, 2022, 5:19 pm
wixfjord wrote: January 24th, 2022, 4:36 pm

We're not allowed draw attention to pundit hyperbole anymore? Pity because calling Healy's performance Larkhamesque was as big as they come.
He said he looked like Larkham. Visually.
Then I just thought Ben Healy looked really composed. I actually thought he looked Larkham-esque. He has that high cruising speed and just looks real languid and relaxed.
Not that he was as good as Larkham or he was the next Larkham.

But if you choose to read it that way and get annoyed at a guy who is a self confessed Leinster fan and an actual rugby analyst saying something as innocuous as that, then fire away!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Why would you think I was annoyed at Toolan? I'm not even the OP.

The comparison and context make the intent clear. It's not a comparison I'd expect a serious pundit to make lightly.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Just watched the match on d tele, and I have to say, that was a very good performance.
Not perfect, but very good none the less.

That was a Munster team minus Killer, Scannell, RG, JJ, Joey, DDA and Earls, with 2 of those changes happening on the day of the match, and not for a second would anyone have noticed.

Many of the stand out performers have already been spoken about, but for me Rory Scannell and Conway also deserve massive praise for their performances.
In addition to those, imo that was the best performance of Archers career.

I’m really looking forward to the next few games to see what some more the the younger lads can do.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Brilliant interview piece with Keith Earls here

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... r-disorder
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Don't know about Larkham or not but I said it a year ago and I'll say it again: based on ability and need (i.e. other players available to us) Healy should be closer to the Irish squad than Casey.

We have plenty of good scrum halfs, at least three not from Leinster or Munster that are currently better than him, this is not the case with outhalfs and Healy. I'm sure JvG will be happy to keep him for the next while but I'd have him flying off to Portugal.