Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote: January 27th, 2022, 7:52 pm Rumours that Munster are also in contact with Holland, Wayne Smith and Tony Brown.
Thanks. They mostly seem unlikely at this stage.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Still to sign.

O'Byrne
Moore
Ryan
Beirne
Jenkins
Cloete
Osborne
Flannery
De Allende
McHenry
Earls
French (Seán)
Gallagher

Most of those will be off. Maybe one or two coming in (hooker and center?) and some more academy promotions I'd say. About 6 players less in the squad than last year would be my guess.

If I was Flannery I would look to Connacht.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

dropkick wrote: January 27th, 2022, 8:16 pm I think Milton Haig was a half back in his playing days and currently in Japan with the team that finished second last season. It would seem a step down for him to move to munster as anything below a head coach.

munster#1 wrote: January 27th, 2022, 7:52 pm Rumours that Munster are also in contact with Holland, Wayne Smith and Tony Brown.

Fantasy stuff I'm afraid.
I would image that Munster have made contact with a good number of coaches around the globe for the available roles.

Any one of the listed options could come in as a head coach.

Munster have 2 former Georgian coaches on their books already, maybe Haig could complete the hat trick, rather him than Bradley.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

dropkick wrote: January 27th, 2022, 8:50 pm Still to sign.

O'Byrne
Moore
Ryan
Beirne
Jenkins
Cloete
Osborne
Flannery
De Allende
McHenry
Earls
French (Seán)
Gallagher

Most of those will be off. Maybe one or two coming in (hooker and center?) and some more academy promotions I'd say. About 6 players less in the squad than last year would be my guess.

Beirne central contact and earls if he’s happy to continue. Otherwise wouldn’t expect many of that list to be here next season. I really rate Gallagher but with pa Campbell looking so promising stacking your squad and giving no one enough game time isn’t clever either. DDA sadly gone.

Hunting for a tight head , hooker and centre would be the expectation. Moore may be kept if there isn’t a successful hooker acquisition as I’ve heard kob is leaving. Barron and Buckley looking decent prospects helps a lot.

There’s enough local promising backrow players, plus beirne and Wycherley who can play there to keep Jenkins and cloete. Guys like kendellan hurley and okeke need exposure. If as rumoured Dunne and josh Murphy are leaving Leinster Jenkins or similar is essential. ….I hope ye get better luck with injuries with him.

Agree about flannery he’s at an age that needs to progress with his career. Hard to know is he a ten or a 15 but he’s a tidy footballer. Connacht do a great job giving guys like this minutes. I’d hate to see him lost to the championship. I Think he’s better than that.

Patterson has gone well ahead of Osborne at this stage. I wonder how Ethan Hurley gets on for the U20s

Personally I think french/Gallagher depends on whether Keith is going for another year. Considering he’s still making an Ireland 23 I think he’s loads to offer but a lot depends on the body.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Sugary tae wrote: January 27th, 2022, 10:36 pm
dropkick wrote: January 27th, 2022, 8:50 pm Still to sign.

O'Byrne
Moore
Ryan
Beirne
Jenkins
Cloete
Osborne
Flannery
De Allende
McHenry
Earls
French (Seán)
Gallagher

Beirne central contact and earls if he’s happy to continue. Otherwise wouldn’t expect many of that list to be here next season. I really rate Gallagher but with pa Campbell looking so promising stacking your squad and giving no one enough game time isn’t clever either. DDA sadly gone.

Hunting for a tight head , hooker and centre would be the expectation. Moore may be kept if there isn’t a successful hooker acquisition as I’ve heard kob is leaving. Barron and Buckley looking decent prospects helps a lot.

There’s enough local promising backrow players, plus beirne and Wycherley who can play there to keep Jenkins and cloete. Guys like kendellan hurley and okeke need exposure. If as rumoured Dunne and josh Murphy are leaving Leinster Jenkins or similar is essential. ….I hope ye get better luck with injuries with him.

Agree about flannery he’s at an age that needs to progress with his career. Hard to know is he a ten or a 15 but he’s a tidy footballer. Connacht do a great job giving guys like this minutes. I’d hate to see him lost to the championship. I Think he’s better than that.

Patterson has gone well ahead of Osborne at this stage. I wonder how Ethan Hurley gets on for the U20s

Personally I think french/Gallagher depends on whether Keith is going for another year. Considering he’s still making an Ireland 23 I think he’s loads to offer but a lot depends on the body.
Of those players, discounting ones that are rumoured to already be going, I would really like to see Munster retain Beirne, Earls, Osbourne, Gallagher and Flannery.

I have been really impressed by Gallagher any time he has played, however I would understand if he is let go considering the depth that exist in the back 3.

Flannery, might seem like Munster are being hoarders, I really think he adds great depth.
Again, I would understand if he wanted to leave, because he has a number of fairly young options ahead of him and he’s had little opportunities to date.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I wouldn't have any concerns about losing Beirne or Earls. They're getting Ireland gametime a year out from a world cup.

The progression of Barron and Buckley lets Munster cut a hooker, Moore being the obvious one as he's unproven.

There's loads of depth in the back 3 so it makes sense to cut numbers and there's no reason it can't be a few of those guys.

Being a world cup year I think it makes sense to renew Flannery if he's up for it. And he should back himself given the age profile of those around him.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Munster (vs Zebre): Matt Gallagher; Calvin Nash, Liam Coombes, Dan Goggin, Shane Daly; Jake Flannery, Neil Cronin; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Keynan Knox; Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O’Donoghue (C), John Hodnett, Jack O’Sullivan.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Josh Wycherley, Roman Salanoa, Thomas Ahern, Alex Kendellen, Paddy Patterson, Jack Crowley, Chris Farrell.
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Delighted to see that squad named by Munster.
Some really exciting players that are going to get very valuable minutes.

Looking at the squad, I would be surprised if we see sexy, flowing rugby, as there are probably too many changes to ensure consistency.

Very brave move by Munster to select a bench with so few experienced players, with a big gap in experience between Farrell and the rest.

I’m looking forward to seeing what Flannery brings to the table, likewise Gallagher at fullback, Coombes in the Centre and JOS at 8.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

Fierce excited about that selection. Lots of young lads who need to step up and grab the jersey. I wonder are a few playing for a contract ?
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Sugary tae

Fierce excited about that selection. Lots of young lads who need to step up and grab the jersey. I wonder are a few playing for a contract ?
Same thought crossed my mind. If so it's a hell of an incentive. Good luck to all of them I hope they do great.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Sugary tae wrote: January 28th, 2022, 1:45 pm Fierce excited about that selection. Lots of young lads who need to step up and grab the jersey. I wonder are a few playing for a contract ?
most already have contracts sorted.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 28th, 2022, 2:41 pm
Sugary tae wrote: January 28th, 2022, 1:45 pm Fierce excited about that selection. Lots of young lads who need to step up and grab the jersey. I wonder are a few playing for a contract ?
most already have contracts sorted.
Flannery and Gallagher?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Looking at the players that are currently getting valuable game time for Munster in both the HC and URC along with the 9 players that have made the Irish U20s squad, it really has a feel of a bright future for Munster and I can’t help but get excited.

You would have to imagine that now that a lot of what was wrong with the club appears to have been addressed, that the Munster job would be very attractive to a good number of quality coaches.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

munster#1 wrote: January 29th, 2022, 10:30 am Looking at the players that are currently getting valuable game time for Munster in both the HC and URC along with the 9 players that have made the Irish U20s squad, it really has a feel of a bright future for Munster and I can’t help but get excited.

You would have to imagine that now that a lot of what was wrong with the club appears to have been addressed, that the Munster job would be very attractive to a good number of quality coaches.
The talent is there alright. All yiz need now is the right hand on the helm!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

riocard911 wrote: January 29th, 2022, 11:20 am
munster#1 wrote: January 29th, 2022, 10:30 am Looking at the players that are currently getting valuable game time for Munster in both the HC and URC along with the 9 players that have made the Irish U20s squad, it really has a feel of a bright future for Munster and I can’t help but get excited.

The talent is there alright. All yiz need now is the right hand on the helm!
This is the most important thing.
I’d imagine that the search will go far and wide and that the IRFU will play a big part in the make up of the coaching team.

If you ever get a chance, I would recommend that you check out the Munster training facilities. They are second to none I’d say.

With the players available, the number of young, talented players coming through, the facilities at their disposal and rich financial backers, the right coaches could see Munster becoming a real contender for silverware.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Why has JVG waited until the last few months of his Munster career to start really throwing in young guys. You'd wonder if he had been a bit braver over the last two seasons what might've happened.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: January 29th, 2022, 2:10 pm Why has JVG waited until the last few months of his Munster career to start really throwing in young guys. You'd wonder if he had been a bit braver over the last two seasons what might've happened.
In fairness to JVG he is open to criticism for many things, but he has been building towards this since he arrived.
Each year of his tenure we have seen a considerable number of players exiting the squad, many of whom would have been in the match day squad for the big games, with a good number being replaced by academy graduates.

One of his first acts was to perform a clearout of the academy, concentrating their efforts on quality and not quantity.
This has resulted in the squad that Munster have today.

For any coach, a rebuild of this magnitude is a difficult thing to do whilst still ensuring that you remain competitive.

I really believe that whoever comes in next is going to really benefit from the work that JVG has put in.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think you're giving him a lot of credit there and there's a good bit of revisionism going on. JVG has proven himself time and time again as a conservative selector.

For some reason, he seems to be changing that in the last few months.

Maybe the Wasps away game made him see something, maybe he just wants to leave people with a more positive view.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

wixfjord wrote: January 29th, 2022, 4:48 pm I think you're giving him a lot of credit there and there's a good bit of revisionism going on. JVG has proven himself time and time again as a conservative selector.

Maybe the Wasps away game made him see something, maybe he just wants to leave people with a more positive view.
I was wondering that too as it was a serious blind spot for him and my thought was that whoever follows him will seriously benefit from the sea change this year. I think he might see it as his best chance of leaving a legacy at Munster?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: January 29th, 2022, 4:48 pm I think you're giving him a lot of credit there and there's a good bit of revisionism going on. JVG has proven himself time and time again as a conservative selector.

JvG will pick youth when it’s ready, development is the harder part for him.

What changed is that his hand was somewhat forced by some of the younger players being well prepared and hitting form out the gate and also that due to budget reasons and other Munster cut experienced sub-international IQ players.

If you went pick for pick through todays team you’d see a lot of calls that could be explained as still being relatively conservative selection with a dose of resting some players who’ve played a lot.