Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by ronk »

I think your vision for the preferred skillset for a Munster centre and JvG's are not well aligned.

JvG seems happy with that part of his game-plan but it's probably what will get him fired, even though it will look like an outhalf issue in a lot of ways.

In some ways I'm watching Carbery this window as a clue. If he plays really well then maybe it's the Munster style so sack JvG. If he sucks then he's off form so drop him.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote: October 24th, 2021, 5:28 pm Crowley has a hell of a lot of talent. He didn't have much to do with Munster losing that game, despite his name being on the tin.

I think that centre combination of Goggin and Coombes is not good. Not good at all. Coombes is a winger and Goggin is a player who I just don't rate. Never have. All I see are the holes in his skillset, and I'm surprised that he still sees so much gametime for Munster.

I don't understand why van Graan doesn't pick Shane Daly at No13, his preferred position ... especially when he picks Liam Coombes, a winger, at centre. I thought that picking Earls at No13 ahead of Daly previously was another odd decision. Earlsie is a small, 34-year old wing. What's the thinking behind moving him inside a slot?

Just pick Scannell and Daly in the centre together.
You're a brave man
You've just committed a mortaller
M1 is going to go in studs showing because you criticised Goggin.
Aussie coaches have no problem experimenting so it's easy to understand Coombes at 13 however the minute you play someone like Goggin inside him then the experiment is doomed.
Daly at FB unless you want to play Zebo there because he's better than the alternative.
Having said all of the above, Munster need to decide what their best set of backs is and play them together for a couple of games.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

enby wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 9:31 pm Dire match won by the less dire team. Just as Carty gave Farrell something to think about in the earlier so too did Casey, who should not be near the Irish squad. Fair dues to Stringer, he isn't holding back
I thought it was great :D :D

Scrappy game but the best team won, smith morgan in the pack and Williams in the centre were all very good, big win for us that
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster have named their squad for the 2 game tour of South Africa as listed below.

This will be a very difficult for Munster to manage, as they will have to try reintegrate the Internationals after the squad arrive back from SA, and just prior to their first HC game.

Munster Squad For South Africa Tour

Backs

Neil Cronin, Paddy Patterson, Jack Crowley, Jake Flannery, Ben Healy, Liam Coombes, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly, Seán French, Matt Gallagher, Mike Haley.

Forwards

Jeremy Loughman, Liam O’Connor, Josh Wycherley, Diarmuid Barron, Kevin O’Byrne, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer, Keynan Knox, John Ryan, Thomas Ahern, Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley, Chris Cloete, Jack Daly, Alex Kendellen, Jack O’Donoghue (C), Jack O’Sullivan.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Seems odd that they are leaving Irish players who haven't played yet. Those lads need the gametime.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

ronk wrote: November 18th, 2021, 2:44 pm Seems odd that they are leaving Irish players who haven't played yet. Those lads need the gametime.
29 strong squad flying out on Saturday with some players from the Ireland camp joining later.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ah so it's not the full squad. Still strange to have 9 front rows and 3 locks.

Forces them to use the Lion when he's someone who could be rested.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Stephen Larkham will depart Munster Rugby at the end of the 2021/22 season.

Larkham, who joined Munster as senior coach two years ago, is contracted to the province until the end of the season and was offered the opportunity to extend his time in Limerick.

After careful consideration Larkham eventually declined the extended contract offer citing personal reasons in seeking a return to Australia with his family and the additional incentive of a coaching opportunity closer to home.

Stephen Larkham said, “I only recently spoke about my desire to remain with Munster and continue working with my fellow coaches and playing group.

“That hopefully gives some indication as to how difficult a decision this has been for me. The staff, players, fans, and facilities are world class here and I am grateful to have had this opportunity.

“My family made a number of sacrifices in joining me on this move to Ireland and my girls’ adjustment over here, particularly with covid, has been difficult. I have to put them first now, and with a coaching opportunity closer to home this is the right thing for my family at this time.

“For now, my focus is very much with Munster Rugby and with a long season ahead I will savour every moment of working within this great environment as we continue to build in the right direction.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 6:00 pm Stephen Larkham will depart Munster Rugby at the end of the 2021/22 season.

Larkham, who joined Munster as senior coach two years ago, is contracted to the province until the end of the season and was offered the opportunity to extend his time in Limerick.

After careful consideration Larkham eventually declined the extended contract offer citing personal reasons in seeking a return to Australia with his family and the additional incentive of a coaching opportunity closer to home.

Stephen Larkham said, “I only recently spoke about my desire to remain with Munster and continue working with my fellow coaches and playing group.

“That hopefully gives some indication as to how difficult a decision this has been for me. The staff, players, fans, and facilities are world class here and I am grateful to have had this opportunity.

“My family made a number of sacrifices in joining me on this move to Ireland and my girls’ adjustment over here, particularly with covid, has been difficult. I have to put them first now, and with a coaching opportunity closer to home this is the right thing for my family at this time.

“For now, my focus is very much with Munster Rugby and with a long season ahead I will savour every moment of working within this great environment as we continue to build in the right direction.”
Cat firmly among the pigeons.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Not great news to hear. I would have loved to see him stay on on, and potentially take the reigns at some stage.

McNamara being linked as his replacement which would be a good move, and would be great to have a local coach in situ.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

ronk wrote: October 24th, 2021, 5:45 pm I think your vision for the preferred skillset for a Munster centre and JvG's are not well aligned.

JvG seems happy with that part of his game-plan but it's probably what will get him fired, even though it will look like an outhalf issue in a lot of ways.

In some ways I'm watching Carbery this window as a clue. If he plays really well then maybe it's the Munster style so sack JvG. If he sucks then he's off form so drop him.
Hot take on the Larkham news is they should sack JvG.

Feed the story that the reason the Ireland team had so many Leinster players is a sign of how much Munster have regressed. They need a new coach for a new game-plan to adapt to how Ireland are playing. They need someone who can develop a new squad.

POM just said he was the happiest he's been in years and he said it playing not for Munster.

Whether ROG wants the job or not, sack JvG or demote him to forwards coach.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Murray Kinsella thinks Larkham did 2 years in Munster, not 3.

https://www.the42.ie/munster-stephen-la ... 5-Nov2021/
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 6:50 pm
ronk wrote: October 24th, 2021, 5:45 pm I think your vision for the preferred skillset for a Munster centre and JvG's are not well aligned.

Hot take on the Larkham news is they should sack JvG.

Feed the story that the reason the Ireland team had so many Leinster players is a sign of how much Munster have regressed. They need a new coach for a new game-plan to adapt to how Ireland are playing. They need someone who can develop a new squad.

POM just said he was the happiest he's been in years and he said it playing not for Munster.

Whether ROG wants the job or not, sack JvG or demote him to forwards coach.
+1
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

He wouldn't be a big loss. At least not in terms of Munsters attacking game. In every big game Munster revert to Bulls rugby.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Does the two year contract offer to Larkham mean there's also a two year contract offer on the table for JVG too then?

That would be mad.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

wixfjord wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 8:30 pm Does the two year contract offer to Larkham mean there's also a two year contract offer on the table for JVG too then?

That would be mad.
Looks like it. It's been rumoured for months.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I can see no logic for keeping a guy who hasn't won a trophy in potentially four seasons, has overseen limited development of the Munster game plan despite huge resources and has had at least three successful coaches leave from under his wing on for another two.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 9:17 pm I can see no logic for keeping a guy who hasn't won a trophy in potentially four seasons, has overseen limited development of the Munster game plan despite huge resources and has had at least three successful coaches leave from under his wing on for another two.
He's already past 4 full years. He's in his 5th. If he renews and sees out his contract it would be 7 seasons.

The guy who left won the Championship, the RWC and the Lions. Munster have gone backwards and couldn't even finish out the Rainbow Cup with an easy pot on the table.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 9:17 pm I can see no logic for keeping a guy who hasn't won a trophy in potentially four seasons, has overseen limited development of the Munster game plan despite huge resources and has had at least three successful coaches leave from under his wing on for another two.
Nor me.

I think van Graan is a decent guy and is probably a very good employee and a good boss to his players in many ways – that counts for a lot. Who you are as a person is important.

As a coach at professional level, I think he's missing a few tools that he should already have by virtue of being at this level, and he is missing anything that makes him stand out.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Perfect time to get Lancaster down to Limerick.
A team of himself, McNamara and Rowntree would be ideal to take Munster to the next level.

Imagine what they could do with the obvious talent that Munster have.