Ulster 2021/22

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: Ulster 2021/22

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Oldschoolsocks

when you say Murphy hasn't done enough at Connacht to warrant a place do you mean he's not done enough to warrant a place with Connacht?
please forgive my ignorance on this one, I don't really watch the either 3 provinces unless they're playing us or its a big match
What I mean is Murphy's been solid if unspectacular but with Heffernan not involved with Ireland and Delahunt such an asset he doesn't get much gametime. Adding to that Tierney- Martin is coming up and can slot in as third place hooker means that Murphy will probably be the odd man out. Connacht will invest in Tierney-Martin who has the higher ceiling. Not a slight on the man at all it's just Connacht won't be able to afford 4 hookers.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

sunshiner1 wrote: January 27th, 2022, 1:50 pm
by Oldschoolsocks

when you say Murphy hasn't done enough at Connacht to warrant a place do you mean he's not done enough to warrant a place with Connacht?
please forgive my ignorance on this one, I don't really watch the either 3 provinces unless they're playing us or its a big match
What I mean is Murphy's been solid if unspectacular but with Heffernan not involved with Ireland and Delahunt such an asset he doesn't get much gametime. Adding to that Tierney- Martin is coming up and can slot in as third place hooker means that Murphy will probably be the odd man out. Connacht will invest in Tierney-Martin who has the higher ceiling. Not a slight on the man at all it's just Connacht won't be able to afford 4 hookers.
cheers
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote: January 27th, 2022, 8:32 am McGuigan or Byrne would be great signings. What they need is someone good enough to bench in Europe but not harm the development of Stewart.

Albeit if McGuigan wanted to move to Ireland he probably would've done so by now.
Don't think Newcastle ever spent up to the Cap when it was 6.4m but wages will be squeezed down across the board you'd think.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Gilroys high tackle. OMFG!!! yer mans head went backs so far, I didn't think a human could survive such a thing. Yellow card was the call but Scarlet (Tom Rodgers) failed his HIA, dya think? 10-10 HT
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

blockhead wrote: January 28th, 2022, 8:28 pm Gilroys high tackle. OMFG!!! yer mans head went backs so far, I didn't think a human could survive such a thing. Yellow card was the call but Scarlet (Tom Rodgers) failed his HIA, dya think? 10-10 HT
He has failed the HIA.

Personally I think it was a Red Card. His left arm is not lifted to make a tackle.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

If refs can mitigate that down to a yellow then the laws need to be changed. Gilroy leads with the shoulder and probably would have clocked him high even if Rogers hadn't dipped.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

It's absolutely sickening. But if you look close, Rodgers drops about a foot in the last 1/2 second. If he hadn't Gilroy would have made a good tackle. No way could Gilroy adjust in time, it's not possible, he's low as it is.
I hope that lad is alright.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

blockhead wrote: January 28th, 2022, 10:14 pm It's absolutely sickening. But if you look close, Rodgers drops about a foot in the last 1/2 second. If he hadn't Gilroy would have made a good tackle. No way could Gilroy adjust in time, it's not possible, he's low as it is.
I hope that lad is alright.
Gilroy makes no attempt to make a legal tackle.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

I don’t understand why that wasn’t a red card? Gilroy led with his shoulder indicating clear intent imo. I’ll be very surprised if he is not cited for that.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Contact looks to have been around the temple. I don't think his falling (under pressure from an Ulster player with a grip on his jersey) can be seen as mitigation for the level of recklessness involved. Nobody doubts this was an extraordinarily dangerous incident, surely Gilroy gets a ban.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by JohnB

I don’t understand why that wasn’t a red card? Gilroy led with his shoulder indicating clear intent imo. I’ll be very surprised if he is not cited for that.

The referee is Jaco Peyper. You could kill a man on the pitch and he still wouldn't send you off.
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

That’s true sunshiner1. I recall the thuggery he allowed the Kiwis to indulge in at Lansdowne Road in 2016 after their defeat in Chicago.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

cormac wrote: January 28th, 2022, 8:33 pm If refs can mitigate that down to a yellow then the laws need to be changed. Gilroy leads with the shoulder and probably would have clocked him high even if Rogers hadn't dipped.
Yup it was very wreckless.

Rogers was getting tackled at the time AND was running at speed so a big hit (with shoulder) always had the possibility of going wrong.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

JohnB wrote: January 29th, 2022, 7:21 am That’s true sunshiner1. I recall the thuggery he allowed the Kiwis to indulge in at Lansdowne Road in 2016 after their defeat in Chicago.
Don't forget the time France beat us up in Paris under his watch to the extent that Rory Best was threatening to lead the Irish team from the field. Mike McCarthy was left KO on his back at one stage, if I remember correctly. Peyper had totally lost control of that match. It was the worst performance by a ref I can recall.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Disappointed not to see Aaron Sexton get a longer shift off the bench last night when he just got the last five mins. Even then he almost had a breakaway on half-way where a one-handed jersey grab stopped his progress. If he had used his leg speed & strength as well as McElroy did throughout the game he could have scored from 40m.

I'd love to see Leinster pick him up and add real pace to our attacking skills. Larmour & Lowe can beat players with footwork but neither is a 40-60m sprinter like Sexton.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

riocard911 wrote: January 29th, 2022, 11:18 am
JohnB wrote: January 29th, 2022, 7:21 am That’s true sunshiner1. I recall the thuggery he allowed the Kiwis to indulge in at Lansdowne Road in 2016 after their defeat in Chicago.
Don't forget the time France beat us up in Paris under his watch to the extent that Rory Best was threatening to lead the Irish team from the field. Mike McCarthy was left KO on his back at one stage, if I remember correctly. Peyper had totally lost control of that match. It was the worst performance by a ref I can recall.
Peyper is so lenient on dangerous play that he nearly encourages it.
Dont Panic!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Ruckedtobits

If he had used his leg speed & strength as well as McElroy did throughout the game he could have scored from 40m.
How do people rate McElroy? He still seems young to me but is closing down on 50 games for Ulster and yet is nowhere near the first team. For a guy who was hyped up and talked about as a future Irish international that seems bog standard to me.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

sunshiner1 wrote: February 1st, 2022, 9:54 am
by Ruckedtobits

If he had used his leg speed & strength as well as McElroy did throughout the game he could have scored from 40m.
How do people rate McElroy? He still seems young to me but is closing down on 50 games for Ulster and yet is nowhere near the first team. For a guy who was hyped up and talked about as a future Irish international that seems bog standard to me.

He looks a quality player but doesn't seem to have much top end pace. He can step alright. He reminds me of Liam Williams a bit.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The hype train is a bit full in Ulster with guys like Lowry, Balloucoune and Sexton who really stand out. That's not to say he isn't good, he's just more normal.

I have him at 28 games though https://all.rugby/player/ethan-mcilroy
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

dropkick wrote: February 1st, 2022, 10:12 am
sunshiner1 wrote: February 1st, 2022, 9:54 am
by Ruckedtobits

He looks a quality player but doesn't seem to have much top end pace. He can step alright. He reminds me of Liam Williams a bit.
Yeah, I think he is good – he's only 21 years old, so he's doing well to get as many games as he has played in. He is a little bit raw, but very brave and committed.

Ulster are really building up a glut of young backs from their academy with Stockdale [b.1996], Baloucoune and Lytle [b.1997], Lowry, Hume and Curtis [b.1998], Moore [b.1999], McIlroy and Sexton [b.2000], Doak and Moxham [2001].

Obviously some are further along than others – Stockdale and Moxham are as far as the full five years apart in terms of experience as well as age – but it is really positive for Ulster and Irish rugby.

Leinster should obviously be looking to contract Aaron Sexton, although Ulster would hit the roof if we made an offer. And after we've propped them up for the last four years!