Connacht 2021/22

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: Connacht 2021/22

Post by sunshiner1 »

by ronk
Long interview with Conor Oliver.

Probably wasn't gametime in Leinster with other options, I think Munster missed out though.
You got a source or link?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

sunshiner1 wrote: January 29th, 2022, 11:42 am
by ronk
Long interview with Conor Oliver.

Probably wasn't gametime in Leinster with other options, I think Munster missed out though.
You got a source or link?
SportsJOE.ie: "I had a point to prove" - Conor Oliver on choosing Connacht over Leicester Tigers.
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/conor-ol ... ter-247274
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

If some players are leaving Leinster for game time, Connacht could really do with a few.

Their outhalf, fullback, and most of the pack have been poor today. Dominated in lineout, scrum, and maul, and they kicked poorly.

Remember when it was common for people online to say the Tiernan O'Halloran wasn't first choice fullback for Ireland because of Leinster bias?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Very poor performance sees Connacht stuffed at home by the Weegies 20-42. Ouch!!!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Worth pointing out that Glasgow were all sorts of shite themselves. Connacht were suicidal though.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interesting tweet here - https://twitter.com/TheLooseH/status/14 ... 3691333632

Connacht seem to have issues in the last quarter, possibly a mix of lack of depth and mentality maybe.

Given we'll likely have a significant bench to come in for the Round of 16, could be an area where we have upper hand.

Baird, Sheehan, the props and whatever backrow player comes in could make a big difference in last 20.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Munster have three fine young outhalves behind flake; one of them has to be allowed to move for game time.

Leinster have several players who can play fullback not getting gametime. Munster bought a stack of players in there and only Haley gets the games. Lucifora needs to earn his corn.

Couple of seasoned pro looseheads at Leinster need time. Not sure what they can do at tighthead nor at lock but they need strengthening.

EDIT

Munster might have an extra lock maybe and the hooker that van Graan forgot, Kevin O'Byrne, would really suit Connacht's playing style. He's a lovely ball player in the loose.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote: January 29th, 2022, 4:50 pm If some players are leaving Leinster for game time, Connacht could really do with a few.

Their outhalf, fullback, and most of the pack have been poor today. Dominated in lineout, scrum, and maul, and they kicked poorly.

Remember when it was common for people online to say the Tiernan O'Halloran wasn't first choice fullback for Ireland because of Leinster bias?
I agree overall but I actually thought Forde was pretty good. Was very impressed with him for the 20’s and thought he looked comfortable today, think he has huge potential although I think it’ll be at 12.

On the point about them fading in another post. I couldn’t get over how tired Marmion was with over ten minutes left and it made me wonder if fitness is the reason he’s not in the Ireland squad.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

That's a good point about Marmion. It would make sense. Though I'm not sure that the end of match thing is either statistically significant or more representative of their front row stocks than anything else.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

TOH has been playing terrible of late which is unfortunate. The final quarter thing is troubling but not unexpected. As I said before we have a great team but not a great squad. We are missing 4-5 players that would make Connacht into a serious challenger. Josh Murphy is a great signing but Connacht will need a few more to stop days like this happen.

EDIT: Thanks for the link Ronk.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/statu ... 5890663425

Edit, forgot this forum doesn't do previews. Josh Murphy off to Connacht.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote: January 31st, 2022, 12:30 pm https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/statu ... 5890663425

Edit, forgot this forum doesn't do previews. Josh Murphy off to Connacht.
Is it possible that Leinster agreed to release Josh to facilitate his medical career and thus keep him in the game.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Oldschool

Is it possible that Leinster agreed to release Josh to facilitate his medical career and thus keep him in the game.
Very doubtful. Nothing stopping him doing his medical career in Dublin like Contepomi did. It's gametime he wants.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Delighted with Connacht win v Scarlets tonight. The refereeing of the second-half was one-sided and neither Yellow Card for Fifita were justified. For the first, the Scarlets s-h took his quick penalty from the wrong place and before the whistle went. For the second YC, Fifita's made a real attempt to blockdown the chip kick of the full back and stayed on line in the subsequent 1 sec before he collided with him (with his hands still in the air).

Excellent displays by Porch, Carty, Marmion and a number of Connacht forwards but notably Murray & Prendergast, two great young prospects.

Well done Andy Friend and the coaching group.
king
Bookworm

Post by king »

Prendergast :green clap:
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Leaving
Dillane
Papali'i
Arnold

Out of contract
Buckley
Robertson McCoy
Burke
Duggan
Heffernan
Delahunt
Thornbury
Murray
Prendergast
E Masterson
Butler
Boyle
S Masterson

Reilly
Fitzgerald
Porch
Robb
Wooton
Healy
Sullivan

Not sure about the following
G Mcgrath
Tuimauga
J Murphy
Fifita
Bolton
O'Donnell
O'Halloran

Coming in
Josh Murphy

Looks like there could be a fair bit of movement with the Connacht squad. No doubt they're checking out the situation in the other provinces but have only announced Josh Murphy so far. There should be some decent pick ups though if the others are looking to trim their squads.
Last edited by dropkick on February 23rd, 2022, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Aungier and Dowling renewed a couple of months ago. Marmion's contract isn't up until the end of 22/23. Many of the others had their contracts renewed last year for an unannounced duration. O'Halloran is definitely up at the end of the year.

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-r ... 1-players/
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

My sympathy to Connacht fans looking to find reliable stats on their players!

I had a look at the Connacht website, wondering if Hansen has played 14 (he hasn't) or solely been used at 11 (he has)
Here's his profile

The overview says he's played 9 games, 709 minutes, and scored 30 points (which I assume is true). However his historic stats, on the same page, have him down for 7 games, 549 minutes, and 25 points. Missing the Bulls game from October and Stade game from last month.
On top of that the opposition in all of their home games is Connacht!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

berliner wrote: February 22nd, 2022, 4:44 pm Aungier and Dowling renewed a couple of months ago. Marmion's contract isn't up until the end of 22/23. Many of the others had their contracts renewed last year for an unannounced duration. O'Halloran is definitely up at the end of the year.

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-r ... 1-players/

Cheers. I edited it. There's probably more mistakes in there.