Connacht 2021/22

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Connacht 2021/22

Post by blockhead »

Colmodon wrote: March 16th, 2022, 10:40 am
blockhead wrote: March 16th, 2022, 10:26 am Talk about Leinster North and Leinster West. How many of our boys are we going to have over there next season?
Players involved at Leinster academy level or higher:
Tom Daly, Tom Farrell, Josh Murphy, Peter Dooley, David Hawkshaw, Adam Byrne, Oisín Dowling, Gavin Thornbury, Jack Aungier, Greg McGrath.

Players involved in Leinster schools/clubs/underage:
Jordan Duggan, Denis Buckley, Sam Illo, Charlie Ward, Shane Delahunt, Paul Boyle, Conor Oliver, Cian Prendergast, Peter Robb, Matt Healy, Peter Sullivan, Josh O'connor.

Possibly missing some
Cheers man.
Wow!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

No disrespect to Connacht but in the grand scheme of things they are really going to struggle to get past the 3 bigger more affluent provinces now we have the bok sides in it's highly unlikely they will ever win another title

So by playing exciting rugby they are at least entertaining their fans even if they get a few hidings on the way. I certainly enjoy watching them play

Also they are contributing some players to the Irish squad , isn't that really all they can hope for with the odd good run in Europe or in the urc?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

JB1973 wrote: March 17th, 2022, 9:46 am No disrespect to Connacht but in the grand scheme of things they are really going to struggle to get past the 3 bigger more affluent provinces now we have the bok sides in it's highly unlikely they will ever win another title

So by playing exciting rugby they are at least entertaining their fans even if they get a few hidings on the way. I certainly enjoy watching them play

Also they are contributing some players to the Irish squad , isn't that really all they can hope for with the odd good run in Europe or in the urc?
The recruitment programme they are just completing will certainly advance their chances of being competitive. If, and its a major question, they can improve their S&C and avoid significant injuries in their Squad, they can certainly produce the performances which will bring success.
king
Bookworm

Post by king »

Imo there are 2 barriers to Connacht being able to compete with the other 3 provinces and to being continually involved at the pointier end of the season in both competitions.

1. Population and therefore additional incomes which can be derived from it and playing pool primarily connected to the province as a first choice.
2. Financial support of the other 3 by way of central contracts.

Not a lot that can be done about the first and plenty of arguments to support the need for the second to keep high end players in Ireland. While I have issue with some I do see why.

The big learning from this season for me is the learning we have failed to take now for a decade. Ireland's love affair with Europe does not need to be Connacht's. Priority is league, cup runs are a bonus based on relative fitness of the squad. Gain respect with league position first. Compare ourselves with the Welsh and Scottish sides at seasons end and build to a better future in a few years when the draw will be more favorable.

Like all sports rugby is cyclical, we will have our time again.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

king wrote: March 17th, 2022, 9:52 pm Imo there are 2 barriers to Connacht being able to compete with the other 3 provinces and to being continually involved at the pointier end of the season in both competitions.

1. Population and therefore additional incomes which can be derived from it and playing pool primarily connected to the province as a first choice.
2. Financial support of the other 3 by way of central contracts.

Not a lot that can be done about the first and plenty of arguments to support the need for the second to keep high end players in Ireland. While I have issue with some I do see why.

The big learning from this season for me is the learning we have failed to take now for a decade. Ireland's love affair with Europe does not need to be Connacht's. Priority is league, cup runs are a bonus based on relative fitness of the squad. Gain respect with league position first. Compare ourselves with the Welsh and Scottish sides at seasons end and build to a better future in a few years when the draw will be more favorable.

Like all sports rugby is cyclical, we will have our time again.

The weak squad is killing Connacht. One thing the likes of Edinburgh have is a big squad now. They can take a few injuries and drop underperformers out of the squad. Once momentum is stopped during a season it's hard to get going again because you need to freshen the team up. That's not an option Andy Friend has.

Last weekend they were playing Leinsters 2nd/3rd string side but Connacht was largely made up of players who couldn't get in the Leinsters academy. The signings of Dooley and J Murphy is a step up in that regard. Hawkshaw has potential but Adam Byrne is a bad signing as he is always injured.

Quinn Roux has been the biggest loss for Connacht and they should maybe aim to find a similar type in South Africa.

For this season mid table is about right for Connacht. Some fans are calling for Friend to be replaced but do they really think they should be ahead of the big SA sides.

Next season with a stronger squad they should be more consistent.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Tiete Tuimauga is leaving the Connacht. Really hope they bring someone in to replace him because otherwise they are going to be light again going into a new season.

https://www.the42.ie/tietie-tuimauga-co ... 4-Apr2022/
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

sunshiner1 wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 7:49 am Tiete Tuimauga is leaving the Connacht. Really hope they bring someone in to replace him because otherwise they are going to be light again going into a new season.

Confirmed props for next season are Dooley, Buckley, Duggan at L/H, and Bealham and Aungier at T/H with McGrath also confirmed. Unsure what's the story with Burke and Illo and Robertson-McCoy is on his way. So yes, a T/H may be needed.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

betty swallocks wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 10:23 am
sunshiner1 wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 7:49 am Tiete Tuimauga is leaving the Connacht. Really hope they bring someone in to replace him because otherwise they are going to be light again going into a new season.

Confirmed props for next season are Dooley, Buckley, Duggan at L/H, and Bealham and Aungier at T/H with McGrath also confirmed. Unsure what's the story with Burke and Illo and Robertson-McCoy is on his way. So yes, a T/H may be needed.
Burke signed a new contract in March. I'd imagine DRMC will be released if his contract is up. Illo is a bit of a mystery: signed on a senior contract, played just once against Stade.

Connacht have been spraying penalties from the scrum, but yet they've just released Tietie who was part of keeping the boat afloat - odd. Greg McGrath has been an honest player for Connacht and has not wanted for effort, but he's struggling and conceding a lot of penalties. Aungier has had a poor season, and with Finaly Bealham away in green a lot, the problems at TH are really obvious. Even if they do recruit a serviceable TH they could have used TT, seems like a weird decision. Some are suggesting that this was an IRFU decision, doesn't add up to me, they can't be that blind.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

berliner wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 10:40 am
betty swallocks wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 10:23 am

Burke signed a new contract in March. I'd imagine DRMC will be released if his contract is up. Illo is a bit of a mystery: signed on a senior contract, played just once against Stade.

Connacht have been spraying penalties from the scrum, but yet they've just released Tietie who was part of keeping the boat afloat - odd. Greg McGrath has been an honest player for Connacht and has not wanted for effort, but he's struggling and conceding a lot of penalties. Aungier has had a poor season, and with Finaly Bealham away in green a lot, the problems at TH are really obvious. Even if they do recruit a serviceable TH they could have used TT, seems like a weird decision. Some are suggesting that this was an IRFU decision, doesn't add up to me, they can't be that blind.
With regard to Illo, I can imagine two possible scenarios:

a) Due to agent wrangling/an offer from abroad/relative lack of interest from the player, we offered a senior deal without the intention to utilise the player much differently to any academy year 1.
b) We signed him intending for him to be involved with the first team but for one reason or another (injury, inexperience, struggling to adapt, Tuimauga being a better tighthead than expected) the coaching staff have decided to be patient with him.

I am a little disappointed as I expected him to get 300-400 minutes this season before surpassing DRM, McGrath etc. to play a bigger role in his second. Looking back, that was probably quite unrealistic. I think it would be quite unusual for a tighthead prop to play a significant amount of rugby in his first season out of u20s, never mind the fact that Illo missed out on a season of AIL and a JRWC due to COVID.

Tuimauga has really impressed me, surprised he didn't get a Top 14 contract. Rock solid in the scrum despite no prior pro tighthead experience, and decent around the park. I think it's important to note that he would was specifically signed as loosehead injury cover, for Denis Buckley. I have no idea to what extent provinces have to "pitch" NIQ signings to the IRFU, but perhaps it was a factor. Or perhaps Colomiers made an offer we couldn't match, or the financial security of a 2+1 deal was a major factor for the player.

Friend has said that he is expecting one more signing, and Bernard Jackman has reported that Connacht are in the market for a tighthead. If we do sign a tighthead, and he is a downgrade from Tuimauga, then questions will definitely be asked. Much like when we replaced AJ MacGinty with Marnitz Boshoff.

Jack Aungier is a strange one. Thought in 2020-21 he did everything you would want from a young tighthead; got 500 minutes under his belt, looked very mobile and effective in the loose, and at least adequate in the scrum. This season has seemed like a step back, he has been struggling in the scrum and much less noticeable around the park. He didn't start a game between 13/03/2021 and 04/03/2022.

I have found Connacht's selections at prop extremely strange all season to be honest. Players playing both sides of the scrum, and regularly dropping in and out of favour. The one plus has been Matthew Burke, who has stepped up massively and reached a level I didn't think he was capable of. Huge credit to him and very happy to be proven wrong.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by berliner » April 22nd, 2022, 10:40 am

by scentofgunpowder

I have found Connacht's selections at prop extremely strange all season to be honest. Players playing both sides of the scrum, and regularly dropping in and out of favour.
I agree with you both. I wasn't impressed with Tiete when he first arrived but once he got match fitness he turned out to be an excellent squad player. I hope Illo can step up next season but expecting him to dominate or play a huge run of games is naive. I would have kept Tietie over McGrath every time. If the IRFU made him leave then I hope they have an IQ/IE replacement lined up.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Aungier has been better than reflected, in my view. More difficult for THP to come into a game if scrum has been under pressure. Other than scrum, his contributions have been reasonable, decent handling & carrying and excellent tackling. Lost his jersey in a recent game and the midriff looked fairly generous. Wondered about his S&C work and whether he is maintaining his conditioning.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Rumour that Theo Bishop (TH Prop) could be joining the Connacht Academy next season. Bishop is currently with Sale Sharks and is IQ.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

scentofgunpowder wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 12:04 pm
With regard to Illo, I can imagine two possible scenarios:

a) Due to agent wrangling/an offer from abroad/relative lack of interest from the player, we offered a senior deal without the intention to utilise the player much differently to any academy year 1.
b) We signed him intending for him to be involved with the first team but for one reason or another (injury, inexperience, struggling to adapt, Tuimauga being a better tighthead than expected) the coaching staff have decided to be patient with him.

I am a little disappointed as I expected him to get 300-400 minutes this season before surpassing DRM, McGrath etc. to play a bigger role in his second. Looking back, that was probably quite unrealistic. I think it would be quite unusual for a tighthead prop to play a significant amount of rugby in his first season out of u20s, never mind the fact that Illo missed out on a season of AIL and a JRWC due to COVID.

I have found Connacht's selections at prop extremely strange all season to be honest. Players playing both sides of the scrum, and regularly dropping in and out of favour. The one plus has been Matthew Burke, who has stepped up massively and reached a level I didn't think he was capable of. Huge credit to him and very happy to be proven wrong.
Illo was a huge reach and Connacht paid way over the odds for what he produced this season. He played 5 minutes of rugby and they're probably playing a base senior contract of c. €40k - that's €8k/minute. Supermodel money.

Sam is a good guy, a good athlete and a good player. He has got very quick feet and he's a worker. But taking in a 20 year old on a full deal who had never been in an academy was a rash move. There's no real way to accelerate the processes that players, particularly forwards, go through in the academy. It's why the academies exist. I've no insight to Sam's progress in particular, but I would say that it has been probably what you would expect from a Year 1 Academy prop who was a good player for the Irish U20s. Connacht have just ended up paying him five times as much as every other academy player.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Adamson calling a high tackle for what was very clearly not despite having the advantage of a number of replays.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Hansen's Aussie "sledging" of the opposition doesn't seem to be translating into an improvement of Connacht's points vis-à-vis the Sharks........
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

the spoofer wrote: April 30th, 2022, 4:19 pm Adamson calling a high tackle for what was very clearly not despite having the advantage of a number of replays.
He’s really riding them now. Momentum is with the Sharks anyway they don’t need the extra man.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That Sharks front five are going to cause anybody problems in play-offs - anywhere. Add in a good backrow and their pack are a handful. Their full-back is also a serious handful in open play.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Adamson just allowed a Shark turn the Connacht 16 upside down on his head. No punishment. He’s a truly awful ref. Changleng like.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

the spoofer wrote: April 30th, 2022, 4:19 pm Adamson calling a high tackle for what was very clearly not despite having the advantage of a number of replays.
Didn't see the match but he's a poor ref. Melts under pressure.

I have been very impressed by the Georgian ref so far.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

dropkick wrote: April 30th, 2022, 5:24 pm
Didn't see the match but he's a poor ref. Melts under pressure.

I have been very impressed by the Georgian ref so far.
Best Scottish ref is Hollie Davidson