Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by SoupyNorman »

ronk wrote: May 25th, 2023, 12:35 am .

There's the interpro rivalry. I could move past that if he would but it would be tricky to navigate. It doesn't have to be his fault, but it would be easy for him to arouse feelings of bias if he had the Ireland job. The lad has 128 caps and he objected to saying he was coming home to Aviva Stadium.

I am sure he made similar comments when he was with Munster. If not Limerick being his home something aling the line of being Cork first and Munster second.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:45 am
munster#1 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:31 am Last time I try to explain myself on this matter.
I can assure you I was not trolling on this matter, I was just drawing a comparison, as I’ve already explained.

I will endeavour to continue to over explain my position where I believe that a misrepresentation or misunderstanding could be made, or where I leave myself open to abuse.

This is a Leinster forum, and as such I generally stay clear of the Leinster thread, and very rarely give a negative opinion on anything related to Leinster or a Leinster player.

To the genuine posters, I wish to apologise for any offence which may have been taken, which I can assure you was not my goal.

However, and this is the last I will speak of this for now, you have to ask why a forum, for one of the worlds biggest clubs, based on a highly populous location has a footfall which is far short of where it could be, and where opposition fans who regularly visit are limited to a number which could be counted on one hand without using all fingers.
I’ll keep this short. You were trolling 100%, and not very well. And here you are at it yet again.
Use the ignore function mon frere. Serves me well. If someone from a rival team creates a user name "big upping" their own team it's done for one reason alone to be inflammatory. I grew up in New York if a Red Sox fan posted on a Yankees forum with that name it would be done with one reason only, this is no different. Also, the Sox suck!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

With the expectation that the match tomorrow will be a complete battle for the first 60, the team that I would pick would be:

Loughman
Scannell (but I think Barron will be picked)
Archie
Kleyn
RG
Beirne
POM
Coombes
Murray
Crowley
Daly
Fekitoa
Frisch
Nash
Haley

Subs: Killer, Salanoa, Barron, Wycherley, Hodnett, Casey, Healy, Kendellan.

I personally would love to see Earls selected, but imo Nash and Daly deserve to start given the seasons that they’ve had, and the 6/2 split on the bench is driven by the forwards battle which will see the Munster pack battered for 80 mins.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

munster#1 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 3:01 pm With the expectation that the match tomorrow will be a complete battle for the first 60, the team that I would pick would be:

Loughman
Archie
Kleyn
RG
Beirne
POM
Coombes
Murray
Crowley
Daly
Fekitoa
Frisch
Nash
Haley

I personally would love to see Earls selected, but imo Nash and Daly deserve to start given the seasons that they’ve had, and the 6/2 split on the bench is driven by the forwards battle which will see the Munster pack battered for 80 mins.
Same side, I'd expect to see. They'll likely have to go 6-2 in the forwards again, so unfortunately that probably means no place for Keith Earls.

Alternative selection would be to go for a bench of Kilcoyne/Wycherley, Barron, Salanoa, Hodnett, Kendellen, Casey, Healy, Earls - on the basis that you've got Beirne and Coombes who can move into second row. I think having Earls in the 23 adds more than Fineen Wycherley.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

Ignore
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

FtD wrote: May 25th, 2023, 3:22 pm
munster#1 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 3:01 pm With the expectation that the match tomorrow will be a complete battle for the first 60, the team that I would pick would be:

Loughman
Archie
Kleyn
RG
Beirne
POM
Coombes
Murray
Crowley
Daly
Fekitoa
Frisch
Nash
Haley

Same side, I'd expect to see. They'll likely have to go 6-2 in the forwards again, so unfortunately that probably means no place for Keith Earls.

Alternative selection would be to go for a bench of Kilcoyne/Wycherley, Barron, Salanoa, Hodnett, Kendellen, Casey, Healy, Earls - on the basis that you've got Beirne and Coombes who can move into second row. I think having Earls in the 23 adds more than Fineen Wycherley.
I am a massive fan of Earls, and if he is to retire at the end of the RWC, this could be his last game in Red, so I would love to see him start or at least bench.

If it were different opposition I would have him in no problem, but I just can’t see past Munster requiring a 6/2 split.

On Wycherley, I would have went for Edogbo up until a few weeks ago, but I think Fineen has really upped his game, and is being utilised to great effect as an additional ball carrier instead of his usual game plan as a more traditional TH lock.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

RoboProp wrote: May 25th, 2023, 2:34 pm
munster#1 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:31 am Last time I try to explain myself on this matter.
I can assure you I was not trolling on this matter, I was just drawing a comparison, as I’ve already explained.

I will endeavour to continue to over explain my position where I believe that a misrepresentation or misunderstanding could be made, or where I leave myself open to abuse.

This is a Leinster forum, and as such I generally stay clear of the Leinster thread, and very rarely give a negative opinion on anything related to Leinster or a Leinster player.

To the genuine posters, I wish to apologise for any offence which may have been taken, which I can assure you was not my goal.

However, and this is the last I will speak of this for now, you have to ask why a forum, for one of the worlds biggest clubs, based on a highly populous location has a footfall which is far short of where it could be, and where opposition fans who regularly visit are limited to a number which could be counted on one hand without using all fingers.
I’ll keep this short. You were trolling 100%, and not very well. And here you are at it yet again.
Use the ignore function mon frere. Serves me well. If someone from a rival team creates a user name "big upping" their own team it's done for one reason alone to be inflammatory. I grew up in New York if a Red Sox fan posted on a Yankees forum with that name it would be done with one reason only, this is no different. Also, the Sox suck!
We're in an era where if lies aren't confronted they become the truth, and so what the resident troll says needs to have a light shone on it.

Block lists make it someone else's problem.

Reports don't stop readers seeing it until it's removed.

So that leaves confronting it or getting rid of them, and only limecat has the power to do the second.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

RoboProp wrote: May 25th, 2023, 2:34 pm

Cheers, RBP.

I actually had him on ignore for the longest time and I had read a few of his posts that people responded to and though mt oh maybe he is an OK sort of a chap.

Then this. Yup he’s back in ignore after his “explanation” to “genuine posters”. The fact that he just didn’t say something like “mea culpa” says everything anyone needs to know about him.

Anyhoo. He’s back on ignore shouting into the wind where he belongs…
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Best of luck to Munster on Saturday, for everyone but our resident troll - I hope the team he supports gets hammered
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Great little piece on Munster, with some very positive comments from Jones.
Mad to think that he could have potentially still been in contention for selection only for his career ending injury.

Starting to get nervously excited now.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rug ... 47845.html
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

[quote=munster#1 post_id=832408 time=1685052201 user_id=4064]
Great little piece on Munster, with some very positive comments from Jones.
Mad to think that he could have potentially still been in contention for selection only for his career ending injury.

Starting to get nervously excited now.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rug ... 47845.html
[/quote]

He's 37. Very few players make it that far

He had a bad injury record prior to his retirement. He'd have been retired 5 years ago in all probability.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:33 pm Best of luck to Munster on Saturday, for everyone but our resident troll - I hope the team he supports gets hammered
I second that emotion.

I'll be screaming at the telly for a Munster win tomorrow.

After their abysmal start to the season, a win would be an amazing result and brilliant for Irish rugby. Leinster will benefit from a resurgent Munster too. They are playing a style of rugby more like Leinster & Ireland now which means more munster players will slot into the Irish setup better. As an aside, their poor start to the season reminded me of when Ireland were trying to adapt to the new style of rugby we play now.

I can see Crowley becoming a serious contender for the 10 jersey soon, if not already. More success for munster will mean less of a drain on the leinster team for the Irish squad in 6nations, tours and world cups.

Munster Abu!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

While most of the team largely picks itself, many of the people I’ve spoken to are divided on what starts at half back.

Some are picking Casey over Murray and moving keeping Crowley at 12 with Healy at 10.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

munster#1 wrote: May 26th, 2023, 10:11 am While most of the team largely picks itself, many of the people I’ve spoken to are divided on what starts at half back.

Some are picking Casey over Murray and moving keeping Crowley at 12 with Healy at 10.
I think Crowley at 12 with Healy at 10 would be a colossal error from Munster - their defence has looked ropey AF at times this season with that combo, and Healy was pretty poor I thought against Leinster before leaving the field. I'd be utterly shocked if they don't start Fekitoa.

My squad would be:

15-9,1-8: Haley, Nash, Frisch, Fekitoa, Daly, Crowley, Murray, Loughman, Scannell, Archer, Kleyn, Snyman, Beirne, O'Mahony, Coombes.
Reps: Barron, J Wycherley, Salanoa, Hodnett, Kendellen, Casey, Healy, Earls.
theghost
Learner

Post by theghost »

Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Malakai Fekitoa, Shane Daly; Jack Crowley, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Josh Wycherley, Roman Salanoa, RG Snyman, Alex Kendellen, Craig Casey, Ben Healy, Keith Earls.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

theghost wrote: May 26th, 2023, 12:37 pm Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Malakai Fekitoa, Shane Daly; Jack Crowley, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Josh Wycherley, Roman Salanoa, RG Snyman, Alex Kendellen, Craig Casey, Ben Healy, Keith Earls.
Delighted for Earls. Hope he wins some silverware tomorrow. I’ll be shouting for his team, if I get to watch the match, with more genuine enthusiasm than I have for years.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Some really interesting selections there, namely RG starting on the bench and the 5/3 split on the bench.

As already said, it is great to see Earls on the bench, he played very well the last day, and has earned his spot.
Hopefully he gets the send off he deserves, and potentially pushes himself back into Irish selection consideration.

The Munster bench is full of some really good impact, which will add to a high paced finish to the game, but I do worry about Josh and Salanoa should there be a bucket load of knockons.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Munster outhalfs have been very up and down this season. They're not really settled and it's leading to inconsistency. Or it's happening because of inconsistency.

Crowley is the guy going forward and I think that's a call you have to make for the final with Healy off. You can't build your team around the guy you don't pick.

I'd imagine that Healy is wondering whether he had a better future in Munster than the one he thought he had when he decided to leave.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

munster#1 wrote: May 26th, 2023, 1:05 pm Some really interesting selections there, namely RG starting on the bench and the 5/3 split on the bench.

As already said, it is great to see Earls on the bench, he played very well the last day, and has earned his spot.
Hopefully he gets the send off he deserves, and potentially pushes himself back into Irish selection consideration.

The Munster bench is full of some really good impact, which will add to a high paced finish to the game, but I do worry about Josh and Salanoa should there be a bucket load of knockons.
I think RG is benching specifically so he can help Josh Wycherley and Salanoa in late game scrums. Good side, best of luck tomorrow!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

FtD wrote: May 26th, 2023, 4:00 pm
munster#1 wrote: May 26th, 2023, 1:05 pm Some really interesting selections there, namely RG starting on the bench and the 5/3 split on the bench.

I think RG is benching specifically so he can help Josh Wycherley and Salanoa in late game scrums. Good side, best of luck tomorrow!
That’s a very good point. Kleyn gets through a mountain of work, and will likely be spent in the last quarter, and RG is a fairly decent replacement.

Thanks Bud, hopefully I will be having a celebratory drink tomorrow evening instead of drowning my sorrows.