Ulster 2022-2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Ulster 2022-2023

Post by wixfjord »

RoboProp wrote: July 25th, 2022, 9:01 am
wixfjord wrote: July 24th, 2022, 6:55 pm Fair play to Kimmage for uncovering this. Really good journalism. It's a big story that shouldn't be brushed under the rug.

As usual though with Kimmage, he's trying to make it into a much bigger 'conspiracy' on that reading.

As for Tuohy, no sympathy for him at all. He has come across as a pr!*k on a few occasions.

No way should he be involved at an academy level with Malone either.
Tuohy has been rather vocal (attention seeky if you ask me) off the pitch his whole career, so I'm not too surprised that at the end of his his career in the PD2 he takes some mail order roids to prolong his career.

Kimmage has been trying to get the hot scoop on PEDs in Irish rugby for sometime, I have always suspected it's why himself and Drico parted ways on Drico's autobiography. Kimmage wanted warts and all, Drico wanted to sell books and continue to do his media stuff.

If Kimmage thinks Tuohy is his smoking gun he needs to dust off his mac again, as the Tuohy story all seems rather rinky dink than systemic. He ordered the pills online which in of itself is beyond idiotic, he's a father of 2 he could have been putting any auld rubbish (more toxic that roids) into himself. I would think the people in rugby in Ireland who do take PEDs are not very high up the food chain, and that PEDs usage is by individuals choice rather than a club telling them this is what they need do to hit the next level.

Agree 100% absolutely no way he should be involved in coaching.
Yep agree with all of that.

I do think it's a big story though (is he the first former Irish international to admit taking knowingly taking performance enhancing drugs?) but as you say hardly a 'smoking gun' given the context.

I also don't know why Kimmage things the IRFU should be aware of what happens in the ProD2. Unless they're searching a WADA database consistently then there's no reason for them to be notified that a player not contracted to them has been pinged.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

riocard911 wrote: July 24th, 2022, 9:56 pm He never enhanced his onfield performance by means of steroids (or got caught doing same), so it's strikes me as a bit of a nothing-burger. Plus if the guy is retired/contracted in France, why does the IRFU need to know? Big deal in Dodge....
I disagree. I assumed I’d feel the same way because it’s Kimmage and he blows everything out of proportion but I think this is a legit story to investigate.

For a start, Kimmage is always looking for a smoking gun and thinks the problem is widespread. I don’t think that for a second but if bans are being covered up in France then that is a genuinely worrying development and could well be a sign that it’s not a rare incident. My gut says that Kimmage gets so obsessed with the drug/cover up angle that he’ll have ignored some obvious counter points but we’ll have to wait and see on that.

Secondly, it is a big deal that he failed a drug test but is coaching here. Maybe he’d still have been allowed to coach if the IRFU was aware of this but it’s not right that Touhy either didn’t mention this when required, or just wasn’t required to do so at any stage.

Thirdly, I don’t like this idea that he didn’t play again so it doesn’t matter. At what point did he know he wasn’t playing again? He took the drugs for four months, announced his retirement about 3 weeks after stopping, and then was tested about a week after that. So when was he told he couldn’t play on or when did it become obvious? Was it the day before he ordered the drugs and thought it didn’t matter and was just to benefit his personal life? Or was he taking them for 3 months with a view to being in good shape when the injury healed and he was good to go again? To me that’s the most important question to ask and I can’t believe Kimmage didn’t.

I’d have thought another obvious thing to do was to ask for a complete list of players banned in France under similar circumstances, the answer, or lack thereof, would be illuminating.

There’s definitely a story here but Kimmage is too focused on his own agenda and desire to badger people to see the bigger picture and tease it out properly.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: July 25th, 2022, 10:48 am
riocard911 wrote: July 24th, 2022, 9:56 pm He never enhanced his onfield performance by means of steroids (or got caught doing same), so it's strikes me as a bit of a nothing-burger. Plus if the guy is retired/contracted in France, why does the IRFU need to know? Big deal in Dodge....
I disagree. I assumed I’d feel the same way because it’s Kimmage and he blows everything out of proportion but I think this is a legit story to investigate.

For a start, Kimmage is always looking for a smoking gun and thinks the problem is widespread. I don’t think that for a second but if bans are being covered up in France then that is a genuinely worrying development and could well be a sign that it’s not a rare incident. My gut says that Kimmage gets so obsessed with the drug/cover up angle that he’ll have ignored some obvious counter points but we’ll have to wait and see on that.

Secondly, it is a big deal that he failed a drug test but is coaching here. Maybe he’d still have been allowed to coach if the IRFU was aware of this but it’s not right that Touhy either didn’t mention this when required, or just wasn’t required to do so at any stage.

Thirdly, I don’t like this idea that he didn’t play again so it doesn’t matter. At what point did he know he wasn’t playing again? He took the drugs for four months, announced his retirement about 3 weeks after stopping, and then was tested about a week after that. So when was he told he couldn’t play on or when did it become obvious? Was it the day before he ordered the drugs and thought it didn’t matter and was just to benefit his personal life? Or was he taking them for 3 months with a view to being in good shape when the injury healed and he was good to go again? To me that’s the most important question to ask and I can’t believe Kimmage didn’t.

I’d have thought another obvious thing to do was to ask for a complete list of players banned in France under similar circumstances, the answer, or lack thereof, would be illuminating.

There’s definitely a story here but Kimmage is too focused on his own agenda and desire to badger people to see the bigger picture and tease it out properly.
It is a bit of a conspiracy theory, but I too find the timings around his retirement announcement odd too.

He was playing well prior to his injury, and could well have been hoping for a renewal of his contract or at least to play on else where.

If you are looking to just cure an injury sustained during your playing career, I’m not sure any pro player needs to do a self assessment online and come to the conclusion that ordering drugs online is the solution.
Each club have trained medical staff who could have assisted him.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

munster#1 wrote: July 25th, 2022, 11:28 am

It is a bit of a conspiracy theory, but I too find the timings around his retirement announcement odd too.

He was playing well prior to his injury, and could well have been hoping for a renewal of his contract or at least to play on else where.

If you are looking to just cure an injury sustained during your playing career, I’m not sure any pro player needs to do a self assessment online and come to the conclusion that ordering drugs online is the solution.
I have a sinking feeling the PD2 is a bit like the wild west in around PEDs and other issues that wouldn't float on these shores.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

All good points, M1 & LRIF. Having suffered a very bad leg break myself - on ice and not a playing field - I can kind of feel for the guy wanting to get his body back in working order. Such breaks can be traumatic, as one's physical wholeness, normally taken for granted, is suddenly called into question. It's not a nice place to be, physically or mentally.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

riocard911 wrote: July 25th, 2022, 2:24 pm

All good points, M1 & LRIF. Having suffered a very bad leg break myself - on ice and not a playing field - I can kind of feel for the guy wanting to get his body back in working order. Such breaks can be traumatic, as one's physical wholeness, normally taken for granted, is suddenly called into question. It's not a nice place to be, physically or mentally.
My feeling, based on nothing other than a feeling and from reading what is available, is that he took this action to put himself in a position to get back to fitness and earn another pro contract. Which would tie in with what you are saying.

But I would say that most sports people who turn to performance enhancing drugs have a similar moment in their life when they see no other option but to do this, so I would have a certain amount of empathy for said sports people.

However, when you couple that with Touhy’s non apologetic attitude and his post retirement comments, I really don’t have any sympathy for him, nor do I believe that he is a person who should have anything to do with a rugby academy.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Funny how it was always the first time they took it, that people got caught. And they were acting alone.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote: July 25th, 2022, 9:09 pm Funny how it was always the first time they took it, that people got caught. And they were acting alone.
I always think that a careful watch should be kept on dog owners - have you ever noticed how many bodies are found by 'someone out walking their dog'
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dave Cahill wrote: July 25th, 2022, 11:28 pm
ronk wrote: July 25th, 2022, 9:09 pm Funny how it was always the first time they took it, that people got caught. And they were acting alone.
I always think that a careful watch should be kept on dog owners - have you ever noticed how many bodies are found by 'someone out walking their dog'
https://youtu.be/qypEulhiHAw
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Ulster Rugby Academy Squad 2022-23

Year 1

Joe Hopes

Lorcan McLoughlin

James McNabney

Rory Telfer

Scott Wilson

Year 2

James Humphreys

Conor McKee

George Saunderson

Harry Sheridan

Year 3

Ben Carson

Reuben Crothers

James McCormick
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Vermullan, playing against Australia, looks seriously fit and slimmer than for some time past. Could be a major benefit to the Red Hand boys this season.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The42
Ireland wing Jacob Stockdale fully fit for start of new season after near 12-month lay-off
IRELAND INTERNATIONAL JACOB Stockdale is set to make his return to action for Ulster after nearly a year out injured.

The 26-year-old has returned to full training with his province and is available for selection in Friday evening’s pre-season clash with Exeter Chiefs at the Kingspan Stadium in Belfast [KO 7pm].

Stockdale last played in September 2021 and has been sidelined since due to an ankle injury.

The 35-times-capped Ireland wing/fullback is now finally set to get back onto the pitch ahead of the new 2022/23 season. Competition for places in Ireland’s back three is very strong at the moment but there’s no doubt that national team head coach Andy Farrell will be tracking Stockdale’s progress with interest.

Stockdale’s most recent Ireland cap came in August 2021 against Japan.

Meanwhile, Ulster have confirmed that captain Iain Henderson and centre James Hume remain sidelined due to the respective hand and groin injuries they suffered during Ireland’s tour to New Zealand earlier this summer.
Will Addison [lower leg], Jude Postlethwaite [knee], and Ben Moxham [shoulder] are also still rehabilitating their injuries, while David McCann, David Shanahan, and Andy Warwick are unavailable this week due to “low-grade injuries picked up in training.”
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Good to see Jake Flannery straight in as a starter at 10 against Exeter tomorrow.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

berliner wrote: September 1st, 2022, 4:07 pm Good to see Jake Flannery straight in as a starter at 10 against Exeter tomorrow.
Delighted for him, Jake, imo, is a serious talent who was just unfortunate to come through at Munster at a time where there are strong options ahead of him and when the provinces were instructed to reduce squad sizes due to financial constraints.

I really hope he gets the opportunity to fulfil his potential with Ulster, and maybe even return to Munster in the future.

Best of luck Jake.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

blockhead wrote: August 31st, 2022, 10:21 pm The42
Ireland wing Jacob Stockdale fully fit for start of new season after near 12-month lay-off
IRELAND INTERNATIONAL JACOB Stockdale is set to make his return to action for Ulster after nearly a year out injured.

The 26-year-old has returned to full training with his province and is available for selection in Friday evening’s pre-season clash with Exeter Chiefs at the Kingspan Stadium in Belfast [KO 7pm].

Stockdale last played in September 2021 and has been sidelined since due to an ankle injury.

The 35-times-capped Ireland wing/fullback is now finally set to get back onto the pitch ahead of the new 2022/23 season. Competition for places in Ireland’s back three is very strong at the moment but there’s no doubt that national team head coach Andy Farrell will be tracking Stockdale’s progress with interest.

Stockdale’s most recent Ireland cap came in August 2021 against Japan.

Meanwhile, Ulster have confirmed that captain Iain Henderson and centre James Hume remain sidelined due to the respective hand and groin injuries they suffered during Ireland’s tour to New Zealand earlier this summer.
Will Addison [lower leg], Jude Postlethwaite [knee], and Ben Moxham [shoulder] are also still rehabilitating their injuries, while David McCann, David Shanahan, and Andy Warwick are unavailable this week due to “low-grade injuries picked up in training.”
Now that's great news. Seems like he's been gone for ages and in that time I think people may have forgotten just how good he was when he came onto the scene. Wonder will he come back a as a FB or wing? Was one of the best wingers in the NH but definitely not one of the best Full Backs....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

31-12 win for Ulster. Fairly comfortable win, fairly stop-start game. Madser got one of the tries, Jacob Stockdale also on the scoresheet.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Stockdale looked really sharp tonight, great to see. If he’s 100% physically then I think the break will have done him the world of good, I bet he’ll have a really good mental picture of what he needs to do on the pitch now because all he’s been able to do is think about the game instead of playing it.

Good to see Marty back as well, think there were some concerns about his concussion issues considering the signing of JTA.

McDonald was quite impressive, Flannery had a couple of lovely touches for two of the tries, and I don’t remember seeing Telfer before but he had one electric break. Only turned 19 a few days ago, looks a good prospect.
Last edited by LeRouxIsPHat on September 8th, 2022, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Interesting that McCann is captain for tomorrow. They really need him to explode onto the scene at some stage and I think he has it in him but I did think it would have happened by now. Still very young of course but I just expected a bit more, being captain must be a good sign though. McGloughlin on the bench too, I'm sure they'll look to fast track him after the summer he had.

Also interesting that Telfer is starting at fullback, really did like the look of him last week but didn't think he'd be in the mix for the URC because of his age and the options Ulster have but his selection tomorrow might indicate that he is.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Ulster team to play Glasgow Warriors, pre-season friendly, Friday 9 September at Scotstoun Stadium (KO 7 30pm), live on the Ulster Rugby Recast channel.

(15-9): Rory Telfer, Rob Baloucoune, Stewart Moore, Angus Curtis, Jacob Stockdale, Jake Flannery, Nathan Doak;

(1-8): Eric O’Sullivan, Tom Stewart, Jeff Toomaga-Allen, Sam Carter, Cormac Izuchukwu, Matty Rea, Sean Reffell, David McCann (Captain).

Replacements from: Callum Reid, John Andrew, Declan Moore, Gareth Milasinovich, Frank Bradshaw-Ryan, Harry Sheridan, Jordi Murphy, Lorcan McLoughlin, Dave Shanahan, Michael McDonald, Ian Madigan, Rob Lyttle, Craig Gilroy, Shea O’Brien.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

Inevitably, the Glasgow friendly has been cancelled.