Connacht 2022/23

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Connacht 2022/23

Post by cormac »

Connacht won 15-5
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

berliner wrote: August 25th, 2022, 1:15 pm Dooley and Murphy will make their Connacht debuts against Sale tomorrow in Athlone.

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/dooley-mur ... -friendly/
Both played very well, Murphy especially was excellent I thought.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Getting an early win is vital to Coaches and players. Well done all
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Ireland U20s wing and Ireland 7s international Chay Mullins signed a one-year academy deal with Connacht.

Will join up with the province after featuring on the Emerging Ireland tour.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 16th, 2022, 9:22 am Ireland U20s wing and Ireland 7s international Chay Mullins signed a one-year academy deal with Connacht.

I persume there's more to the deal than that? If he wasn't offered a better deal than that here or abroad, scouts aren't doing their job.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Keith wrote: September 17th, 2022, 7:36 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: September 16th, 2022, 9:22 am Ireland U20s wing and Ireland 7s international Chay Mullins signed a one-year academy deal with Connacht.

I persume there's more to the deal than that? If he wasn't offered a better deal than that here or abroad, scouts aren't doing their job.
Probably has signed a 7's contract and is enjoying it have picked up a Sevens World Cup bronze in his first 6 months and will now be trying to qualify Ireland for the Olympics, with Terry Kennedy taking a year out.. He and his agent have also probably had a look at the queue for wing positions at international level, Mack Hanson, Andy Conway, Stockdale, Baloucoune, O'Brien, Zebo etc. Not bad for an U.20 international.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

Another red card for Bundee.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

SoupyNorman wrote: September 24th, 2022, 2:58 pm Another red card for Bundee.
And more mouthing to the ref as he gets sent off.

Ridiculous.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

you could see how frustrated he was, but mouthing off at the ref is the wrong way to address it.

The reality is he cleaned the opponent out the only way he could, but the game doesn't allow that anymore.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: September 24th, 2022, 3:26 pm

Ridiculous.
If I was ref and a red carded player didn't immediately depart the field of play, I'd tell his captain to get him off with the threat, that if the latter didn't comply with my instructions, he too would be receiving a yellow card. Giving refs guff is unacceptable, IMO. I want it stamped out!!!
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

riocard911 wrote: September 24th, 2022, 6:49 pm

Ridiculous.
If I was ref and a red carded player didn't immediately depart the field of play, I'd tell his captain to get him off with the threat, that if the latter didn't comply with my instructions, he too would be receiving a yellow card. Giving refs guff is unacceptable, IMO. I want it stamped out!!!
I expect that mouthing off to the referee will be worth an extra week or two to his ban.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Mack Hansen got seriously bumped out of the way by Evan Roos on the way to the latter's try. God almighty, I say he felt that....
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Butler should have spelt it out to him instantly and told him to shut his gob. Bear in mind, Bundee is club vice-captain!

Connacht had the worst discipline record int he URC last year, I'd be looking at docking guys a weeks pay if they get a card (provided they weren't taking one for accumulated team offences). Bundee hardly appears for Connacht and then he pulls something like this, uuurgh.... it is maddening.

Ridiculous.
Last edited by berliner on September 25th, 2022, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Another loss for Connacht and Wilkins is getting a log of abuse (as is Bundee). How do people rate him here? He went with Farrell and Co. and won down in New Zealand so he must do something right. Thoughts?
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

Logorrhea wrote: September 24th, 2022, 4:39 pm you could see how frustrated he was, but mouthing off at the ref is the wrong way to address it.

The reality is he cleaned the opponent out the only way he could, but the game doesn't allow that anymore.
This is complete nonsense, it is absolutely possible to clear out a jackaller without making direct head contact. The Stormers player's right shoulder was the more obvious target and Bundee still managed to hit him square in the head.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ridiculous.
Plus one
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

sunshiner1 wrote: September 25th, 2022, 4:51 am Another loss for Connacht and Wilkins is getting a log of abuse (as is Bundee). How do people rate him here? He went with Farrell and Co. and won down in New Zealand so he must do something right. Thoughts?
If it's any consolation Joe Schmidt nearly lost the dressing room after only a few matches in charge.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

scentofgunpowder wrote: September 25th, 2022, 9:44 am
Logorrhea wrote: September 24th, 2022, 4:39 pm you could see how frustrated he was, but mouthing off at the ref is the wrong way to address it.

This is complete nonsense, it is absolutely possible to clear out a jackaller without making direct head contact. The Stormers player's right shoulder was the more obvious target and Bundee still managed to hit him square in the head.
Exactly.

Have a look at Ngatai's clearout on Friday night and Bundee's yesterday.

Almost exact same scenario yet Ngatai managed to hit the guys back/shoulder and Bundee made direct head contact.

Not saying it's easy to target at that high speed, but he knows the rules and there was clearly another way he could get him off the ball without making head contact.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I’d be worried for Connacht already. Their defence is shocking and the number of basic handling errors they make and stupid penalties they give away is unacceptable. Josh Murphy adds a real edge up front but I think they need another ten players with his attitude. I’ve criticised
his discipline in the past but overall the team is just soft which is probably only second to lazy as being the worst thing you could say about a team.

I don’t blame him for getting annoyed but Buckley was constantly waving his arms and moaning about mistakes or decisions going against them. Add in Bundee’s strop and I got the sense of a squad that’s in big trouble.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Oldschool

If it's any consolation Joe Schmidt nearly lost the dressing room after only a few matches in charge.
Did he though? Or was George Hook talking sh*te as always. Bundee is looking at a 10 week ban as this isn't the first time he's done this. Fitzgerald is a poor no. 2 outhalf and Hawkshaw had a mare (though he's young and I think will come good).

It strikes me as something rotten in the state of Denmark, maybe I am reading to much into it but it seems Connacht has regressed to the Bradley days with Friend in a role that was a sideways move and a coach in Wilkins who can't coach defence.

I hope it comes together but I worry that this is slide that could get worse.