Connacht 2022/23

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

naraic
Mullet

Re: Connacht 2022/23

Post by naraic »

sunshiner1 wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 5:06 am It's been mentioned before but Connacht really need a mental skills coach to help them perform. Also like Munster the lack of leadership on the pitch is not good. I wonder how Leinster do it. Is it a case of mentoring or something else? For Munster as soon as you take Beirne and POM out of the team they are a different side. Same with Connacht with Marmion and Butler. That neither province are future building or thinking of contingencies is frightening.
I feel that leadership is an intangible that Leinster seem to select based on sometimes when putting together weakened sides. There's quiet a few people who captained Ireland at underage level in the squad.

One of Munster's problems is that theres very few 25-30 year olds in the squad. A lot of the 30+ players are sort of quiet while the 25 and under cohort are still finding their feet and need someone to lead them.

Connacht are going to need to develop some leadership. With Marmion leaving there will be a major gap. I know one of the Murray brothers has taken on lineout calling recently which can be a good step towards running the lineout and leadership but he is still young so he will take time for it to sit on him.

Ulster also imo need on the field leadership as well. The variability in performance is best explained by poor leadership imo.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by naraic

I feel that leadership is an intangible that Leinster seem to select based on sometimes when putting together weakened sides. There's quiet a few people who captained Ireland at underage level in the squad.

One of Munster's problems is that theres very few 25-30 year olds in the squad. A lot of the 30+ players are sort of quiet while the 25 and under cohort are still finding their feet and need someone to lead them.

Connacht are going to need to develop some leadership. With Marmion leaving there will be a major gap. I know one of the Murray brothers has taken on lineout calling recently which can be a good step towards running the lineout and leadership but he is still young so he will take time for it to sit on him.

Ulster also imo need on the field leadership as well. The variability in performance is best explained by poor leadership imo.
I agree about Leinster which is why the likes of Ruddock is worth his weight in gold. Even Ulster are not in to bad a posiition with AOC the regular club captain and Herring and Doak taking on more responsibility.

For Munster they seem to be sticking with O'Donoghue which I think is a mistake but maybe is the best of a squad in transition. As for Connacht I hope they settle on someone soon as Butler isn't getting any younger.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

sunshiner1 wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 9:08 am
by naraic

I agree about Leinster which is why the likes of Ruddock is worth his weight in gold. Even Ulster are not in to bad a posiition with AOC the regular club captain and Herring and Doak taking on more responsibility.

For Munster they seem to be sticking with O'Donoghue which I think is a mistake but maybe is the best of a squad in transition. As for Connacht I hope they settle on someone soon as Butler isn't getting any younger.
Butler didn't make the 23 vs Treviso and it showed. He's been a great servant to Connacht the last few seasons, particularly in his role as captain.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

naraic wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 5:06 am It's been mentioned before but Connacht really need a mental skills coach to help them perform. Also like Munster the lack of leadership on the pitch is not good. I wonder how Leinster do it. Is it a case of mentoring or something else? For Munster as soon as you take Beirne and POM out of the team they are a different side. Same with Connacht with Marmion and Butler. That neither province are future building or thinking of contingencies is frightening.

Didn't Cian Prendergast captain Emerging Ireland in SA. The Ireland management see something in him. Did Hawkshaw ever captain in schools? strikes me as a guy who has leadership potential.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

desperado wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 11:47 amDidn't Cian Prendergast captain Emerging Ireland in SA. The Ireland management see something in him. Did Hawkshaw ever captain in schools? strikes me as a guy who has leadership potential.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
I think Hawkshaw was an Ireland U20 captain. He is still young (at 23) which hurts him as a leader and is still new to the Connacht set up.
sunshiner1 wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 9:08 am

Its not just Ruddock though. Leinster have leaders scattered around the squad.

Luke McGrath (captained Ireland U19 and Leinster underage teams) and Dave Kearney (who constantly talks to the other back three players when he is alongside rookies) are key.

Then theres the front line players like James Ryan, Garry Ringrose and Sexton.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

naraic wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:01 pm
Its not just Ruddock though. Leinster have leaders scattered around the squad.

Luke McGrath (captained Ireland U19 and Leinster underage teams) and Dave Kearney (who constantly talks to the other back three players when he is alongside rookies) are key.

Then theres the front line players like James Ryan, Garry Ringrose and Sexton.
Ross Moloney too. A very big influence on the pitch and in the squad. I would always see Rhys, Ross and Luke in the same bracket as squad leaders. Ed Byrne would be close there too. He has always been very well-regarded in the squad and the wider organisation.

I actually think that those three lads [Ruddock, McGrath and Byrne] set the tone for the squad because they are in the changing rooms and on the pitch all the time – Rhys has only been capped once by Ireland since RWC 2019, Luke hasn't been capped since that tournament and Ross Molony has never been capped.

It is not just that circumstance – their personalities lend themselves to leadership. Not everyone's does. But I also think that it is something that can be practiced and encouraged.

From the younger crowd, Tommy [O'Brien] will be a good leader. John McKee too. From my point of view, it's the difference maker in Liam Turner – he's got the competitive edge, he's hard-headed but smart too. If he had the same skill sets and a different mindset, he wouldn't have a Leinster contract. Hawkshaw very similar, he will be a leader in Connacht. Soroka very different in terms of personality – a big personality! – but he will grow to be a leader.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

The early retirement of Sean O'Brien has contributed to the leadership void. He captained underage at Galwegians, junior and senior cup teams at Roscrea, and Connacht and Ireland underage teams also (if memory serves he was named captain of Ireland u20 but got injured). We don't produce many players with that profile, he is nearly 29 now and in another world may have been club captain. I think Cillian Gallagher had extensive underage leadership experience also, and captained Ireland u20s when Jack Kelly got injured in 2017, before getting injured himself.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Any truth to the Bundee’s leaving rumour?
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: April 7th, 2023, 8:41 am Any truth to the Bundee’s leaving rumour?
Likely on his way to Shelbyville. With Goggin being moved on there and Shayne Bolton getting a contract extension out West that clears the way for Aki to move South. Connacht get the okay to sign Cordero and upgrade Hansen's contract to a central one in compensation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

betty swallocks wrote: April 7th, 2023, 10:16 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: April 7th, 2023, 8:41 am Any truth to the Bundee’s leaving rumour?
Likely on his way to Shelbyville. With Goggin being moved on there and Shayne Bolton getting a contract extension out West that clears the way for Aki to move South. Connacht get the okay to sign Cordero and upgrade Hansen's contract to a central one in compensation.
Does it make sense with Nankivell coming too?
https://all.rugby/player/alex-nankivell
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote: April 7th, 2023, 12:20 pm
betty swallocks wrote: April 7th, 2023, 10:16 am
Does it make sense with Nankivell coming too?
https://all.rugby/player/alex-nankivell
Certainly doesn't make sense from an IRFU contracting perspective. Player in contract with one Province who wish to retain him, has a strop with one of the coaching group and demands to leave?

No player should have that sway. Take the money, play your best, re-negotiate your options and keep producing the performances.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Shane Delahunt retiring at the end of the season. Wasn't offered a new contract. Crazy by Connacht imo.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ruckedtobits wrote: April 7th, 2023, 1:41 pm

Certainly doesn't make sense from an IRFU contracting perspective. Player in contract with one Province who wish to retain him, has a strop with one of the coaching group and demands to leave?

No player should have that sway. Take the money, play your best, re-negotiate your options and keep producing the performances.
It's still unverified rumour as far as I know. He has now played for Connacht since. Also, if he has an issue with the coach, the coach is already leaving, which does make me more suspicious than usual.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

TOH apparently wasn't offered a contract and now has been. This is the second year in a row this type of stupidity has happened. Can't be good for morale.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

sunshiner1 wrote: April 12th, 2023, 12:11 pm TOH apparently wasn't offered a contract and now has been. This is the second year in a row this type of stupidity has happened. Can't be good for morale.
Connacht Rugby’s longest serving player Tiernan O’Halloran has extended his contract for the 2023-24 season.

The full-back made his debut as an 18 year old in October 2009, and next season will become his fifteenth in the professional setup.

The Clifden native has made 218 provincial appearances, as well as 6 appearances for the Irish national team, and was a try scorer in the 2016 PRO12 Grand Final.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Connacht Rugby can confirm the players who will depart the club at the end of the season.

As previously announced, double centurion Kieran Marmion moves to Bristol Bears at the end of the campaign, while Shane Delahunt and Alex Wootton have announced their retirements from pro rugby.

Also leaving the club are Adam Byrne, Leva Fifita, Conor Fitzgerald, Seán Masterson and Ciaran Booth.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

Loosehead
Denis Buckley (33) - Signed 2 + 1 year contract in 2023
Matthew Burke (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022
Peter Dooley (29) - Signed contract in 2022
Jordan Duggan (25) - Signed 1 year contract in 2023

Oisin Michel (21) - Academy year 1
Charlie Ward (23) - Academy year 3

Tighthead
Jack Aungier (24) - Signed contract in 2022
Finlay Bealham (31) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022
Sam Illo (22) - Signed 2 year contract in 2023
Dominic Robertson-McCoy (29) - Signed 1 year contract in 2023

Hooker
Eoin De Buitléar (21) - Signed 2 year contract in 2023
Dave Heffernan (32) - Signed 2 year contract in 2023
Dylan Tierney-Martin (24) - Signed 3 year contract in 2023

Lock
Oisin Dowling (26) - Signed contract in 2022
Joe Joyce (29) - Signed contract in 2023
Josh Murphy (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022
Darragh Murray (22) - Signed contract in 2022
Niall Murray (23) - Signed 2 year contract in 2023
Gavin Thornbury (29) - Signed 1 year contract in 2023

Back row
Paul Boyle (26) - Signed 1 year contract in 2023
Jarrad Butler (32) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022
Shamus Hurley-Langton (23) - Signed contract in 2022
Sean Jansen (24) - Signed 2 year contract in 2023
Oisin McCormack (22) - Signed contract in 2022
Sean O'Brien (23) - Signed contract in 2023
Conor Oliver (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022
Cian Prendergast (23) - Signed 3 year contract in 2022

Donnacha Byrne (22) - Academy year 3

John Forde (20) - Academy year 1

Scrumhalf
Caolin Blade (29) - Signed 3 year contract in 2023
Colm Reilly (24) - Signed 2 year contract in 2023

Matthew Devine (21) - Academy year 1
Will Reilly (22) - Academy year 2

Outhalf
Jack Carty (31) - Signed 3 year contract in 2022

Harry West (20) - Academy year 1

Centre
Bundee Aki (33) - Signed 3 year central contract in 2020
Shayne Bolton (23) - Signed 1 year contract in 2023
Tom Daly (30) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022
Tom Farrell (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022
Cathal Forde (21) - Signed contract in 2022
David Hawkshaw (24) - Signed 2 year contract in 2023
Byron Ralston (23) - Signed contract in 2022

John Devine (19) - Academy year 1
Daniel Hawkshaw (21) - Academy year 1

Back 3
Santiago Cordero (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2023
Mack Hansen (25) - Signed 3 year contract in 2022
Shane Jennings (22) - Signed contract in 2022
Diarmuid Kilgallen (23) - Signed contract in 2022
Liam McNamara (26) - Signed contract in 2023
Oran McNulty (23) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022
Tiernan O'Halloran (32) - Signed 1 year contract in 2022
John Porch (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2023
Andrew Smith (23) - Signed contract in 2023

Hugh Gavin (19) - Academy year 1
Shane Mallon (21) - Academy year 1
Chay Mullins (21) - Academy year 1
Josh O'Connor (22) - Academy year 2

*ages as at 01/09/2023

IN: Eoin De Buitléar (hooker, academy), Joe Joyce (lock, Bristol Bears), Sean Jansen (back row, Leicester Tigers), Sean O'Brien (back row, Leinster), Santiago Cordero (back 3, Bordeaux Bègles), Liam McNamara (back 3, Ireland Sevens), Andrew Smith (back 3, Leinster)
OUT: Shane Delahunt (hooker, retiring), Grant Stewart (hooker, TBC), Leva Fifita (lock, TBC), Ciaran Booth (back row, TBC), Sean Masterson (back row, TBC), Kieran Marmion (scrumhalf, Bristol Bears), Conor Fitzgerald (outhalf, TBC), Adam Byrne (back 3, TBC), Alex Wootton (back 3, retiring)
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

sunshiner1 wrote: April 11th, 2023, 10:59 am Shane Delahunt retiring at the end of the season. Wasn't offered a new contract. Crazy by Connacht imo.
Delahunt is a player I always thought pretty highly of – I would say that he was a difficult player to play against. A tough, raucous kind of a lad who liked to mix it up. He played a very abrasive brand of rugby, was a naturally big and strong fellah and had some good handling skills.

If he's only retiring because he wasn't offered a contract by Connacht, his agent could do worse than to get in touch with Munster. He'd bring a lot of competition to the hooker corps there.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

hugonaut wrote: April 13th, 2023, 10:01 pm
sunshiner1 wrote: April 11th, 2023, 10:59 am Shane Delahunt retiring at the end of the season. Wasn't offered a new contract. Crazy by Connacht imo.
Delahunt is a player I always thought pretty highly of – I would say that he was a difficult player to play against. A tough, raucous kind of a lad who liked to mix it up. He played a very abrasive brand of rugby, was a naturally big and strong fellah and had some good handling skills.

If he's only retiring because he wasn't offered a contract by Connacht, his agent could do worse than to get in touch with Munster. He'd bring a lot of competition to the hooker corps there.
There's a family farm in the background thats he runs with his father demanding more and more of his attention.

He calved 380 cows this year and they have 370 cows in dairy. He talks a bit about it here.
https://www.farmersjournal.ie/young-sto ... cht-747677

The family farm is in Tipperary so Munster would might be a slightly better situation for him than Connacht but I think that the farm is quiet demanding. He may have decided to focus on that rather than start somewhere else.