Connacht 2022/23

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Laighin Break
Mullet

Re: Connacht 2022/23

Post by Laighin Break »

naraic wrote: April 14th, 2023, 10:41 pm
hugonaut wrote: April 13th, 2023, 10:01 pm
sunshiner1 wrote: April 11th, 2023, 10:59 am Shane Delahunt retiring at the end of the season. Wasn't offered a new contract. Crazy by Connacht imo.
Delahunt is a player I always thought pretty highly of – I would say that he was a difficult player to play against. A tough, raucous kind of a lad who liked to mix it up. He played a very abrasive brand of rugby, was a naturally big and strong fellah and had some good handling skills.

If he's only retiring because he wasn't offered a contract by Connacht, his agent could do worse than to get in touch with Munster. He'd bring a lot of competition to the hooker corps there.
There's a family farm in the background thats he runs with his father demanding more and more of his attention.

He calved 380 cows this year and they have 370 cows in dairy. He talks a bit about it here.
https://www.farmersjournal.ie/young-sto ... cht-747677

The family farm is in Tipperary so Munster would might be a slightly better situation for him than Connacht but I think that the farm is quiet demanding. He may have decided to focus on that rather than start somewhere else.
Not that it really matters, but I heard the farm is in Offaly. Still probably a similar journey to Limerick as it would be to Galway
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Connacht tearing it up at the Sportsground. Three tries - 19-0 - after 28 mins vs Cardiff.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

They’re looking good
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

BPT for Connacht after 36 mins.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Hansen everywhere. Connacht half backs playing really well
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Brilliant win for the Westies, they’re lovely to watch in full flight.

On a side note Bundee won POTM, a medal was put round his neck and he immediately removed it, I seem to remember Jonny Sex10 doing the same. What’s that about?
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: April 15th, 2023, 9:35 pm Brilliant win for the Westies, they’re lovely to watch in full flight.

On a side note Bundee won POTM, a medal was put round his neck and he immediately removed it, I seem to remember Jonny Sex10 doing the same. What’s that about?
They stand united with Chewbacca. If he didn't get a medal for helping to blow up the death star :lol:
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

RoboProp wrote: April 15th, 2023, 9:47 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: April 15th, 2023, 9:35 pm Brilliant win for the Westies, they’re lovely to watch in full flight.

They stand united with Chewbacca. If he didn't get a medal for helping to blow up the death star :lol:
🎖️
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Scott Fardy to Connacht as defense coach.

A good weekend for 'bolt from the blue Irish provincial coaching announcements'!

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/statu ... 1676476416
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Scott Fardy signs as Connacht defence coach for next season!!

Connacht have landed former Leinster and Wallabies star Scott Fardy as their defence coach on a two-year deal, starting next season.

The retired back-row has been coaching in Japan and his native Australia since retiring at the end of the 2020/21 season.

Fardy enjoyed a trophy-laden spell in Dublin where he was a popular member of the dressing-room who led from the front in the 2018 Heineken Champions Cup win, while he won a URC title in each of his four seasons there.

Before that, he played in the 2015 World Cup final while he lined out for the Brumbies and Kamaishi Seawaves in Japan.

With Andy Friend departing at the end of this season, Pete Wilkins is stepping up to the top job with John Muldoon taking over as forwards coach alongside Colm Tucker.

“I am delighted to be adding Scott to the Connacht Rugby coaching team for the 2023/24 season and beyond,” Wilkins said.

“When we began the recruitment process for a new defence coach, it was important to identify someone with experience of professional rugby at the very highest level, but also a person with the qualities that we want to see in a Connacht Rugby team in the years ahead.

"In Scott we have recruited someone who absolutely fits that mould on both fronts.

“His playing career speaks for itself, and when you chat to anyone who has shared a pitch with him, more often than not the first thing they highlight are his leadership skills and his ability to inspire those around him.

"Scott understands what it takes to develop a relentless and winning mindset, and with his thorough knowledge of the Irish rugby landscape, is really motivated to help Connacht reach the next level.

“These attributes will be a huge benefit to the club and us as a coaching team, and I’m sure the players will be massively excited to learn from and work with Scott in the years ahead.”

Fardy is looking forward to returning to Ireland.

“I’m very excited to be joining the coaching team in Connacht. I’ve had some great conversations with Pete and I’m looking forward to making the move and working with all the players and coaches,” he said.

"My wife and I loved our time in Ireland.

"Both our boys were born there and it feels like home for us, so the move makes perfect sense for us. I’m also very excited to be coaching in the URC and Europe, which are such challenging and diverse competitions.

“There’s a lot of great young talent in the Connacht squad, coupled with some really experienced players. I’m looking forward to working with them and doing my bit to help take go from strength to strength”
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

That is a great signing for Connacht - he was a massive player for us, both on the field and off.
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 17th, 2023, 10:09 am That is a great signing for Connacht - he was a massive player for us, both on the field and off.
Absolutely, a very very impressive guy off the park and we all know what he was as a player. That sounds like a great signing for Connacht.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

A bit of talk last week on this forum about Connacht lacking leaders, and their need to develop them.
With Muldoon and Fardy on board, they have massive leadership in their coaching ticket now that can hopefully help mold some leaders in the team
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Laighin Break wrote: April 17th, 2023, 10:24 am A bit of talk last week on this forum about Connacht lacking leaders, and their need to develop them.
With Muldoon and Fardy on board, they have massive leadership in their coaching ticket now that can hopefully help mold some leaders in the team
100%!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Strange decision to go for goal from a penalty. Glasgow just had a second row in the bin and their hooker is getting treatment.

Plus Connacht have been really strong on their put in.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Cracking game in Scotstoun. HT: 19-17
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Big call from the coaches to haul off the props at half time
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Tough night for Connacht. First & third quarters cost them dearly but they refused to roll over. A good spirit in that group and some of the newer faces really fight hard. Taking off Dowling really screwed their defensive maul & scrum. Might have won otherwise
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Some questionable calls from the Coaches in terms of subs. Glasgow haven't lost at home this season afaik but if you are in it to win it taking off your more experienced players can have a serious effect.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

sunshiner1 wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 7:48 am Some questionable calls from the Coaches in terms of subs. Glasgow haven't lost at home this season afaik but if you are in it to win it taking off your more experienced players can have a serious effect.
It's almost like playing Ulster in Ireland was a preferable option to the alternative....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us