Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Friday's rant

Post by paddyor »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: December 14th, 2023, 8:10 pm
paddyor wrote: December 14th, 2023, 1:54 pm But it's 100% the case and it's not a uniquely Irish phenonenom. Thinking back to the crash and every other week some journo would wheel the travails of the "accidental landlord". A big part of the problem is that the market actually works exactly as people expect it or want it to. There was a meeting of a pressure group called Imagine Dundrum about a year ago and it was basically a collection of pensioners gathered together to protest new housing.

Switzerland is about the same as here then. But it's significantly cheaper outside Dubolin obviously. It seems discouraging buy to let inflates rental costs. Switzerland is a bizzare model to aspire to tbh.

https://wise.com/gb/blog/cost-of-living-in-switzerland

There's so much wrong with the bolded. For a start we brought cases against Anglo execs. 4 people were sentenced to prison most recently David Drumm in June 2018 was given 6 years ago iirc (think he's out now). May as well not have bothered it seems given the likes of you, who cares deeply about this stuff, doesn't even seem aware of it. Do we really need that crude analogy of lube? In any case there wasn't much involvement of French and German banks in Irish govt or bank debt. Thin k it was mostly English banks. What are you talking about?
a guy called Philippe Legrain, after leaving the EU Commission blew the whistle on Jean-Claude Trichet pushing Ireland into a €64bn bailout which benefitted mostly French & German banks, internationally. It was around 2014 when he went public. Maybe english banks were involved too. I dunno. You're right, I'm not an expert in this area. I do recall that Legrain said we should have stood firm and the ECB would have blinked. Easy to say in hindsight, I guess, but, still galling. Wasn't aware about Drumm. Thanks.

Swiss model is strange, I agree. The quality of life here is very good but some rules are odd. I was wondering if their canton / federal setup might work with reunification in Ireland. Not a copy-n-paste but it might satisfy a small minority in Norn Iron if they had their own autonomy on a county (canton) level within a New Ireland. That's a whole other discussion I'm not an expert in either. I do hope Ireland gets it-s act together over housing soon. Ukraine war is going to go on a lot longer, we're bracing for Palestinian refugees coming soon and I guess Ireland will be too. More reasons for right wingers to kick up a stink.
2014 woah. That's a long time ago. Before the Greek bailout in 2015 when they convinced themselves that europeand the ECB wer going to blink but didn't. Hilarious how wrong he got it really(not for the Greeks though).
"I understand why the Irish government did what it did (agreed to implement a bank guarantee) but they could have stood up for themselves . . . the European Central Bank would have blinked," the former London School of Economics academic added.

Promises

Ireland's only chance to mitigate some of this damage is by getting some of its legacy bank debts written off, he said. The Department of Finance has not made any progress on this issue so far, despite repeated promises of a deal by Finance Minister Michael Noonan.
Like at that point we'd turned the corner and unempliyment had already fallen below 10%. We got no write down and we grew YOY for a decade to the point employment is hitting new heights. Tbf the economic orthodixy he was arguing ended up being completely wrong.

Doesn't say anything about French and German banks though.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Rockshore is awful piss and I can’t imagine ever wanting to drink it under pretty much any circumstances but those ads with Ronan Keating make me want to smash the tv.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

People who insist that the DUP have to go into government with sin fein. Then give out yards about the possibility of them getting in down here. :roll: :roll:
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

cormac wrote: December 19th, 2023, 7:34 pm Rockshore is awful piss and I can’t imagine ever wanting to drink it under pretty much any circumstances but those ads with Ronan Keating make me want to smash the tv.
Agreed.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

johng wrote: December 19th, 2023, 7:51 pm People who insist that the DUP have to go into government with sin fein. Then give out yards about the possibility of them getting in down here. :roll: :roll:
Also agreed.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't vote for them. But for very different reasons than their past.

And if they get voted in by others then I won't be "up in arms"
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

johng wrote: December 20th, 2023, 11:26 am Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't vote for them. But for very different reasons than their past.

I won't be "up in arms". I'll be "out of here".
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

the spoofer wrote: December 21st, 2023, 12:18 pm
johng wrote: December 20th, 2023, 11:26 am Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't vote for them. But for very different reasons than their past.

I won't be "up in arms". I'll be "out of here".
I would think it's inevitable at this stage.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Is it really Irish government policy that we recognise "one China"?
kff15
Knowledgeable

Post by kff15 »

the spoofer wrote: January 18th, 2024, 11:14 am Is it really Irish government policy that we recognise "one China"?
Apparently so - I was surprised to read this also!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

kff15 wrote: January 18th, 2024, 11:38 am
the spoofer wrote: January 18th, 2024, 11:14 am Is it really Irish government policy that we recognise "one China"?
US also. Only Nixon could go to China and all that.

So NATO too.
kff15
Knowledgeable

Post by kff15 »

fourthirtythree wrote: January 18th, 2024, 2:01 pm
kff15 wrote: January 18th, 2024, 11:38 am
US also. Only Nixon could go to China and all that.

So NATO too.
Does that we mean we also stand over Chinas claims to the islands in the south china Sea, most of Arunachal Pradesh in Inda etc? I presume it does?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Everyone recognises 'one China', including the Peoples Republic of China and the Republic of China

What that China is though, that's the question
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 18th, 2024, 3:32 pm
Everyone recognises 'one China', including the Peoples Republic of China and the Republic of China

What that China is though, that's the question
I wasn't aware of the subtilties in this issue and I doubt I'm alone. This sounded like a shift in policy and this mistaken impression was reinforced when a UK friend queried it just now. It looks like we are copying US policy.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

It's not so much US policy as a US invention in the early 70s - the One China notion is a masterpiece of diplomatic obfuscation.
The United States "acknowledges that all Chinese on either side of the Taiwan Strait maintain there is but one China and that Taiwan is a part of China"
- sure who could argue with that. Countries who ascribe to the concept generally acknowledge that the PRC is the government of China, take no position on the Taiwan question, have formal relations with the PRC, informal relations with the ROC and cross their fingers in the hope that they will sort it out themselves without killing everyone now go away and leave us alone
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We had our own situation with Northern Ireland. This shouldn't be confusing.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

ronk wrote: January 18th, 2024, 5:53 pm We had our own situation with Northern Ireland. This shouldn't be confusing.
But it is. Lots of people here call Ireland the Republic of Ireland which is a soccer team and what military intelligence told the BBC to call Ireland while we still laid claim to NI as part of our territory.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Dave Cahill wrote:It's not so much US policy as a US invention in the early 70s - the One China notion is a masterpiece of diplomatic obfuscation.
The United States "acknowledges that all Chinese on either side of the Taiwan Strait maintain there is but one China and that Taiwan is a part of China"
- sure who could argue with that. Countries who ascribe to the concept generally acknowledge that the PRC is the government of China, take no position on the Taiwan question, have formal relations with the PRC, informal relations with the ROC and cross their fingers in the hope that they will sort it out themselves without killing everyone now go away and leave us alone
A liiittlle bit more than that though... It was part of Nixon's opening up of China... But the UN recognised mainland China as the legitimate China in 1971.

It's not just Ireland recognising the "one China" policy. There's only about 10 countries who recognise Taiwan officially

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Oliver Callan. So the Shinners have their man in a prime time slot.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Brid Smith running for Europe for PBP. On the one hand it would be great to be rid of her whining but have we not inflicted enough on the poor residents of Brussels?