Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Oldschool »

heno wrote: October 19th, 2021, 9:03 am
Ruckedtobits wrote:Listening to OTB on Monday evening and between Joe, Gerry Thornley & Matt Williams we had almost exactly 30 minutes about Munster. A couple of apologist comments about Connacht being the " better side" but that was the height of analysis of anybody other than Munster.

Two minutes about the forthcoming gap in Leinster's calender but very limited comment or analysis about the Irish Province which is playing the best rugby of all four. One fact Thornley pulled was that the five Leinster front-rows, Porter, Healy, Furlong, Kelleher & Sheehan have scored 68 tries between them for the Province. Extraordinary.
You need to stop tuning in expecting to hear detailed technical analysis with an equal spread over the 4 provinces. Put on your journalistic hat and ask yourself where is the story this week? Giving more than a couple of minutes to leinster doing exactly what everyone expected leinster to do, isn't going to attract and hold onto the casual listener.
It's like tuning into the traffic reports and expecting to hear what roads don't have traffic.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Casual listeners don't know diddly squat they are far more likely to want to hear what is the state of play country wide and in particular how this feeds into the national team.
For example our main selectoral problems are in certain positions, how did the prospective candidates perform.
That's the sort of stuff the casual listener wants to hear, not ten minutes (I'm guessing here) that Snyman's situation has had on Munster's situation and the likely impact on their season.
The casual listener couldn't give two fupps about Snyman and probably don't know much about him and care less because he's not IQ.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

heno wrote: October 19th, 2021, 9:03 amPut on your journalistic hat and ask yourself where is the story this week?
Viscount Northcliffe wrote:When a dog bites a man, that is not news, but when a man bites a dog, that is news
I have Bumbleflex
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

Oldschool wrote:
heno wrote: October 19th, 2021, 9:03 am
Ruckedtobits wrote:Listening to OTB on Monday evening and between Joe, Gerry Thornley & Matt Williams we had almost exactly 30 minutes about Munster. A couple of apologist comments about Connacht being the " better side" but that was the height of analysis of anybody other than Munster.

Two minutes about the forthcoming gap in Leinster's calender but very limited comment or analysis about the Irish Province which is playing the best rugby of all four. One fact Thornley pulled was that the five Leinster front-rows, Porter, Healy, Furlong, Kelleher & Sheehan have scored 68 tries between them for the Province. Extraordinary.
You need to stop tuning in expecting to hear detailed technical analysis with an equal spread over the 4 provinces. Put on your journalistic hat and ask yourself where is the story this week? Giving more than a couple of minutes to leinster doing exactly what everyone expected leinster to do, isn't going to attract and hold onto the casual listener.
It's like tuning into the traffic reports and expecting to hear what roads don't have traffic.

Casual listeners don't know diddly squat they are far more likely to want to hear what is the state of play country wide and in particular how this feeds into the national team.
For example our main selectoral problems are in certain positions, how did the prospective candidates perform.
That's the sort of stuff the casual listener wants to hear, not ten minutes (I'm guessing here) that Snyman's situation has had on Munster's situation and the likely impact on their season.
The casual listener couldn't give two fupps about Snyman and probably don't know much about him and care less because he's not IQ.
Well who amongst us can claim to speak for the common man. But I know which of these 2 conversations will generate more minutes at the water coolers this week :

- I see leinster put 50 points on scarlets at home.
- Yes they did.
- Indeed....

- That south African lad that munster paid lots for, he got injured again.
- He only played about 5 mins last year. Did they rush him back?
- is it the same injury?
- is he out for the season?
- are munster screwed now?
- it's just like that what's his name fella all over again

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

heno wrote: October 19th, 2021, 12:01 pm
Oldschool wrote:
heno wrote: October 19th, 2021, 9:03 am You need to stop tuning in expecting to hear detailed technical analysis with an equal spread over the 4 provinces. Put on your journalistic hat and ask yourself where is the story this week? Giving more than a couple of minutes to leinster doing exactly what everyone expected leinster to do, isn't going to attract and hold onto the casual listener.

Well who amongst us can claim to speak for the common man. But I know which of these 2 conversations will generate more minutes at the water coolers this week :

- I see leinster put 50 points on scarlets at home.
- Yes they did.
- Indeed....

- That south African lad that munster paid lots for, he got injured again.
- He only played about 5 mins last year. Did they rush him back?
- is it the same injury?
- is he out for the season?
- are munster screwed now?
- it's just like that what's his name fella all over again

At my water cooler it was all about the Leinster FR experiment and Frawley and how best Leinster might use him given our OH problems.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I think the thing that bugs me most about OTB these days is that can't have a sentence with the word "Leinster" without including the word "machine". It's so f%~king lazy and stupid.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

The exit signs on the saloon doors of alcohol sections in shops and supermarkets. Just in case you get lost between entering and looking at the fridge/shelves. It take years of effort to be that useless, you can't just wake up and go, gotta put in the effort.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Dave Cahill wrote:
heno wrote: October 19th, 2021, 9:03 amPut on your journalistic hat and ask yourself where is the story this week?
Viscount Northcliffe wrote:When a dog bites a man, that is not news, but when a man bites a dog, that is news
When a man eats a hamster that’s front page news
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Drivers, why not use the handbrake when stopped at lights rather than keeping your foot on the brake pedal? That way you won't dazzle the driver in the car behind you! Thanking you in advance...
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Hippo wrote: October 27th, 2021, 8:46 am Drivers, why not use the handbrake when stopped at lights rather than keeping your foot on the brake pedal? That way you won't dazzle the driver in the car behind you! Thanking you in advance...
You're too close :twisted:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

ronk wrote: October 27th, 2021, 10:26 am
Hippo wrote: October 27th, 2021, 8:46 am Drivers, why not use the handbrake when stopped at lights rather than keeping your foot on the brake pedal? That way you won't dazzle the driver in the car behind you! Thanking you in advance...
I like to pop it into reverse for a while at lights to ensure I have the attention of the asshole who is too close to me!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote: October 27th, 2021, 11:22 am
I like to pop it into reverse for a while at lights to ensure I have the attention of the asshole who is too close to me!
Perfect first world solution…

jk I used 2 h8 ppl tailg8ing. Barely drive since lockdown started
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Probably the car fog lights are on and you're only noticing the brightness because you're so close.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

There is a special place in hell reserved for people that drive around with their fog lights on in normal weather conditions.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Can't believe there's no rugby on tonight!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Carl Heyman's comments about how he suffered during and after his rugby career should be a loud warning bell to the "strong, silent types" of rugby players who were brought up to the notion that being hard and suffering pain when being a successful rugby forward is 'part of the deal'.

It isn't now and shouldn't ever have been although many pros will be worried about the consequences of saying " stop! I need a doctor not another injection", that's what has to happen.

We all get just one go on the merry-go-round and being damaged for life at age 35 shouldn't be the automatic outcome because you're good enough and strong enough to take the pain just to keep your contract.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Eh...yes, that's exactly it
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

I don't have a handbrake :twisted:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

You mean you have an electronic handbrake.....
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Maybe she has a push scooter.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

johng wrote:You mean you have an electronic handbrake.....
Could be a footbrake... Which I have

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you