Friday's Rave

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Friday's Rave

Post by Ruckedtobits »

For any over 50's golfers who dream about hitting those "all-time greatest" shots, check out Padraig Harrington's back nine in the 3rd round of the US Seniors Open last night. Absolutely mind blowing 5 wood from 270 yes to 4 feet followed by eagle putt and lots more like it.

Dream on!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Harrington was magnificent and proved he is one of the great Irish competitive sportspersons. He won the US Senior Open tonight by one shot, beating the US Ryder Cup captain, Steve Stricker, who led the US team to heavily beat Harrington's European team last year.

Well done Padraig, at the top of the world game again.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

I love the fact that BBC News has given the three and a half hour block of air time up till 10pm the title

"Johnson Leadership Crisis ...... Latest developments from Downing Street"

Great fun to watch all the same.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Hitting 1690 posts in July 8)

Yeeooo! Feel the heat! FGAU! Traditional route! etc.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Twist wrote: July 19th, 2022, 1:56 pm Hitting 1690 posts in July 8)

Yeeooo! Feel the heat! FGAU! Traditional route! etc.
Aw I ruined it by posting that.

The pope tricked me into it.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Someone needs to show that video to the 2019 losing England team who refused to put on their medals - and to every player (in whatever sport) who turns their nose up at a second place award.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Xanthippe wrote: July 20th, 2022, 3:12 pm
Someone needs to show that video to the 2019 losing England team who refused to put on their medals - and to every player (in whatever sport) who turns their nose up at a second place award.
I was all set to be opposed to replacing a medal for that tosser. Teach him a lesson. Even after he said he regretted it.

But I'm glad they did it after I saw his reaction.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Great to see the "new" Irish produce their best performances on the biggest stages. Well done Israel Olatunde and Rhasidat Adeleke who joined Mack Hansen in producing the goods when it matters. Fantastic performances and great for Irish sport.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Great to see the "new" Irish produce their best performances on the biggest stages. Well done Israel Olatunde and Rhasidat Adeleke who joined Mack Hansen in producing the goods when it matters. Fantastic performances and great for Irish sport.
I appreciate the sentiment, but I wouldn't label someone who was born here and lived their life here as 'new' Irish, or any other qualifier. They are just Irish.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

He used scare quotes for a reason.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

heno wrote: August 18th, 2022, 10:43 am
Ruckedtobits wrote:Great to see the "new" Irish produce their best performances on the biggest stages. Well done Israel Olatunde and Rhasidat Adeleke who joined Mack Hansen in producing the goods when it matters. Fantastic performances and great for Irish sport.
I appreciate the sentiment, but I wouldn't label someone who was born here and lived their life here as 'new' Irish, or any other qualifier. They are just Irish.
Some people use that term as a celebration of how the people referenced (and their extended families) add to and enhance Irish culture.

Having said that, it could be perceived as marking them as less Irish that the rest of us so I get your point completely.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Women's FIFA World Cup Qualification 2023
Was it just journalistic laziness or was there some underlying reason that I could not find the precise outline of how Ireland's team would qualify for the World Cup, since their invaluable win against Finland last Thursday? Certainly the media were quick to confirm that the defeat of Austria by England yesterday was an important factor in our qualification process, but nowhere could I find an explanation as to why, or indeed, what were the other factors.

Reviewing the Tables of the nine qualification Groups, didn't really assist because six of the Groups have six teams whilst the remaining three (which include Ireland's Group A) have only five teams. So revert to basics and look up the UEFA qualification Rules.

https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulation ... ffs-Online

The Rules are certainly comprehensive, dense and all encompassing. But they're also an education as to how complex it is to outline briefly how Ireland qualify, and in what position, for the Women's World Cup. So, firstly my apologies to football journalists for assuming that it was merely laziness which caused their avoidance of any clear description as to what precisely is Ireland's route through the qualifiers, from this point onwards.

In summary my analysis is that (to borrow an oft-used Leo Cullen expression) it's a week too soon to say precisely". The certainty is that Ireland must beat Slovenia next week in Slovenia to take one of the top three qualification slots. The three points from a win will mathematically ensure that we join Holland (already assured of top qualification) and probably Switzerland in the top three places.

The key element in this analysis is a factor that gets mentioned in only one line of the 40 page UEFA document. The results against the 6th Place finishers in each Group are disgarded.

Now I must admit that I have not trawled the results in each of the nine qualifying Groups to confirm the facts, but I have assumed that each second-placed finisher has already taken maximum points from their two games against the bottom team in the six Groups from D to I. This is the key decider, because Groups A, B & C only have five teams and thus no 6th Place finisher.

Ireland have done well to be placed second in Group A. A win against Slovenia will confirm this place and move Ireland up the FIFA rankings, which will influence their future selection in UEFA & FIFA Pools for competitions.

Based on my analysis and presuming no shock results, my predictions of the qualifying positions for these qualifiers with each team still to play their final game, but assumed to get a victory, is as follows:

1. Holland (confirmed);
2. Switzerland;
3. Ireland;
4. Belgium*;
5. Austria*;
6. Wales**;
7. Portugal**;
8. Scotland;
9. Bosnia Hertz.

Teams with * or ** could switch positions based on match goal difference

A fascinating diversion into another sport's administration complexities. Certainly not sure that URC backroom could handle this without hiccups.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

It's actually explained pretty well on Wikipedia, with the second place teams' standings as well.

It's still in the ha'penny place compared to Heineken Cup permutations with bonus points in play too!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschool wrote: June 4th, 2022, 10:51 am The Queen or her Royal Highness has to be the biggest charismatic tourist attraction in the world right up there with or surpassing even the Tour de Force that is St. Patrick's Day.
Sadly Queen Elizabeth has died.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Oldschool wrote: September 8th, 2022, 6:53 pm
Oldschool wrote: June 4th, 2022, 10:51 am The Queen or her Royal Highness has to be the biggest charismatic tourist attraction in the world right up there with or surpassing even the Tour de Force that is St. Patrick's Day.
Edited
Last edited by IanD on September 8th, 2022, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

:green clap:
IanD wrote: September 8th, 2022, 7:11 pm
Why is your comment in the RAVE Thread?

Bit heartless.
Response edited in the interest of charity…
Last edited by Oldschoolsocks on September 8th, 2022, 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: September 8th, 2022, 7:30 pm

Bit heartless.
Theres no real reason for this to be in the Rave thread, its just inappropriate…
To be fair, he is responding to a previous post he made defending her, as opposed to a fresh post making it a rave. Call it a mistake rather than maliciousness.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

FLIP wrote: September 8th, 2022, 7:34 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: September 8th, 2022, 7:30 pm

Bit heartless.
Theres no real reason for this to be in the Rave thread, its just inappropriate…
To be fair, he is responding to a previous post he made defending her, as opposed to a fresh post making it a rave. Call it a mistake rather than maliciousness.
Fair enough, happy to edit my response…
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

It's amazing the amount of footage the Queen's death is getting worldwide.
Fitting accolades for someone who did her job so well for so long.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.