for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Corona Virus

Post by paddyor »

heno wrote: December 20th, 2021, 1:55 am
paddyor wrote:
heno wrote: December 19th, 2021, 12:58 pm The reason we have entered and will continue to enter lockdowns earlier and leave them later isn't because we have stupider politicians or a more gullible population. Its because we have one of the lowest icu bed capacities per capita in Europe. If you want to have less lockdowns, we need to have that as the number 1 item on the agenda at the next election.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
This again. No. The CMO ruled out expanding hopsital and ICU capactity in April as he considers it a preventable infection

From about 55mins in.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1385267820775329794

WRT ICU numbers. Ours are below average for the OECD but this is partly attributable to our younger population. I had some sympathy ofr this view at the start of the pandemic and you know it could take months to train nurses doctors and other staff to expand ICU capacity. But we're 2 years in(lots of time to train whoever you need) and I think you have to look at what they did and what they said. NPHET wanted lockdowns when ICU numbers were low in the middle of summer. They extended measures right up to October from the January lockdown. They are pro NPIs and think nothing of subordinating huge parts of the economy to their goals. I suspect tpart of this is Holohans multi decade crusade against alcohol(did you know he held and anti alcohol conference in DUblin in March 2020?)
Did anything he said there disagree with what I said? I'm not suggesting that if we had a big enough hospital system we wouldn't need to wear masks or socially distance. You don't respond to a pandemic in the first instance with bricks and mortar.
Also it's not in public health's remit to decide on how many icu beds we should have or to rule building more in or out.
I'm just talking about the level of lockdown we have had to endure. And I'm informed by independent expert commentators and also those that I know that work in the health system and know how close we've been to overload several times. And also those that work in health systems in countries that have been overloaded such as Romania where they were intubating people in car parks and sending people in military transports to Poland and Germany where they had spare icu capacity.
The fact that we haven't had to witness that here with the health system we have is to be acknowledged and appreciated.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
NPHET is directing health policy for the duration of the crisis so yes it is in their remit. No Paul Reid or Donnelly might decide to bypass them but NPHETs advice re NPIs won't change. To take the example of Romania whihc had a very low vax rate, capactiy can get overwhelmed in matter of days when the virus is growing exponentially and there's a clear coupling between cases, hospitalisations and ICU. It's pretty sound logic pre vaccines. Post vaccines with the decoupling of those stats it makes no sense to not expand capacity IMO. Even if you are scared of new variants that the vaxxines are less effective than. Varadkar pretty much confirmed we're doing lockdowns for the foresseable and made no mention of expanding capacity.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Queued up with half of south Dublin last Sunday in Citywest, got my Moderna booster - jaysis four days later and I feel like the freight train reversed back over me, Mrs. Stockings not feeling much better. totally different experience to the first and second Pfizer shots

They did draw blood which makes me suspect they may have hit a blood vessel, which is not recommended, but trying not to think about it too much tbh...

anyhoo - have a happy Christmas everyone, stay safe and all the usual
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 10:07 pm Queued up with half of south Dublin last Sunday in Citywest, got my Moderna booster - jaysis four days later and I feel like the freight train reversed back over me, Mrs. Stockings not feeling much better. totally different experience to the first and second Pfizer shots

They did draw blood which makes me suspect they may have hit a blood vessel, which is not recommended, but trying not to think about it too much tbh...

Got boostered a couple of weeks ago (Moderna after 2xAZ). Was done before my alloted time, which hacked her indoors off big time. (She queued over 3 hours. Both of us at Citywest). No reaction to any apart from a sore arm for 24 hours. Little bit sniffly over the last couple of days so did a test this morning. Came up positive as quick as putting the Christmas Tree lights on! Bad news is that Christmas is f**ked. The good news is that if all the colds i've ever had in my life had been as mild as this I would have been well happy! I normally have a sore throat and a cough that lasts a couple of weeks. No cough today and no sore throat at all, (the part of a cold I hate).
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Hornet wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 11:07 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 10:07 pm Queued up with half of south Dublin last Sunday in Citywest, got my Moderna booster - jaysis four days later and I feel like the freight train reversed back over me, Mrs. Stockings not feeling much better. totally different experience to the first and second Pfizer shots

Got boostered a couple of weeks ago (Moderna after 2xAZ). Was done before my alloted time, which hacked her indoors off big time. (She queued over 3 hours. Both of us at Citywest). No reaction to any apart from a sore arm for 24 hours. Little bit sniffly over the last couple of days so did a test this morning. Came up positive as quick as putting the Christmas Tree lights on! Bad news is that Christmas is f**ked. The good news is that if all the colds i've ever had in my life had been as mild as this I would have been well happy! I normally have a sore throat and a cough that lasts a couple of weeks. No cough today and no sore throat at all, (the part of a cold I hate).
sorry to hear the plague got yi, good that it's a mild dose though
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 11:14 pm
Hornet wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 11:07 pm

sorry to hear the plague got yi, good that it's a mild dose though
Unlike @hornet and @oldschoolsocks, I got my booster a few weeks ago due to being Type 2 diabetic. Having had two sons and grandchildren cry off Christmas Dinner due to the arrival of Omnicon, I surrendered to a fierce headache and fever for Sunday & Monday before setting out to get a Covid Test this morning.

My GP explained that although it was unlikely I have Covid, he couldn't give me a face to face appointment without a negative PCR. He was able to arrange for HSE to get me an appointment in the next couple of days for which I am very thankful. However, it really hit home to me how essential is our testing capacity. Based on a couple of brief anecdotes from medical colleagues during the day, lots of appointments, briefings, meetings etc. go on hold if anyone is awaiting a PCR Test. A (current) PCR Test has taken over from the Covid Cert as the real passport in society today.

Stay safe, or get well soon and gently, whichever the case may be
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Conor Riocht (who's graphs I've been sharing here) has been run off twitter by Paddy Cograve aka Tech Gemma who released his personal info on twttier outing him as a Pfizer employee. His crime it seems was presenting data that didn't chime with the general hysteria of the media and a lot of the zero covid/miserbalists on twitter. Green party councilor Oisín O'Connor had a pretty big meltdown the last 2 days as well. These people are going to lose their sh!t when things don't go down the gutter.

EDIT For clarity
Last edited by paddyor on January 4th, 2022, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I think we've all agreed that Twitter is shite and no place to get medical advice.
Doxing someone is a really cr@p thing to do though
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 7:42 pm I think we've all agreed that Twitter is shite and no place to get medical advice.
Doxing someone is a really cr@p thing to do though
I quite like twitter, it's made me more attuned to BS pedallers and the like. No idea what you mean by getting medical advice.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

paddyor wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 6:02 pm Conor Riocht (who's graphs I've been sharing here) has been run off twitter by Tech Gemma who doxxed him as a Pfizer employee. His crime it seems was presenting data that didn't chime with the general hysteria of the media and a lot of the zero covid/miserbalists on twitter. Green party vouncilor had a pretty big meltdown the last 2 days as well. These people are going to lose their sh!t when things don't go down the gutter.
I know what he means by not getting medical advice from Twitter but have no clue what any of this is. Had to google doxxing but no clue what tech gemma is or who had a meltdown.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

yeah, doxxing is deliberately publishing the details (documents) behind an anonymous account - a bit like online outing.

it's a pretty shitty thing to do to someone and can have repercussions for them in their professional or personal lives.

as for the meltdown etc., that's all just twitter drama
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

johng wrote: January 4th, 2022, 11:44 am
paddyor wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 6:02 pm Conor Riocht (who's graphs I've been sharing here) has been run off twitter by Paddy Cograve aka Tech Gemma who released his personal info on twttier outing him as a Pfizer employee. His crime it seems was presenting data that didn't chime with the general hysteria of the media and a lot of the zero covid/miserbalists on twitter. Green party councilor Oisín O'Connor had a pretty big meltdown the last 2 days as well. These people are going to lose their sh!t when things don't go down the gutter.
I know what he means by not getting medical advice from Twitter but have no clue what any of this is. Had to google doxxing but no clue what tech gemma is or who had a meltdown.
lol

Sorry, it's in hindsight a twitter nickname. Tech Gemma is Paddy Cosgrave of Websummit fame. A few years ago the govt refused to throw him a few quid for wifi at his annual party and he swore an oath of vengeance against the state and in particular Leo Varadkar. He's a nasty piece of work. You know I've seen people do something similar and thought they were weirdos, and now it's me doing it.

Doxxing is sharing peoples personal details like address, real identity or employer
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Booster Cert just arrived.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Feeling relieved to have received my second booster jab today given the extent of the latest surge in transmission.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

JohnB wrote: March 29th, 2022, 5:59 pm Feeling relieved to have received my second booster jab today given the extent of the latest surge in transmission.
Is that timing through choice or has the second booster only just gotten around to you?

One of the few things that's gone right in the UK is the speed of vaccinations. They're kicking off a 3rd booster now. Thankfully it appears here that while cases are high, good rates of vaccinations have greatly reduced serious complications and hospitalisations.
Anyone But New Zealand
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

FLIP wrote: March 29th, 2022, 8:55 pm
JohnB wrote: March 29th, 2022, 5:59 pm Feeling relieved to have received my second booster jab today given the extent of the latest surge in transmission.
Is that timing through choice or has the second booster only just gotten around to you?

One of the few things that's gone right in the UK is the speed of vaccinations. They're kicking off a 3rd booster now. Thankfully it appears here that while cases are high, good rates of vaccinations have greatly reduced serious complications and hospitalisations.
I got the jab having received 3 texts and a phone call in recent weeks from the HSE telling me to arrange a 2nd booster jab as an immunocompromised person.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dr T in the news again.
Question.
Am I mistaken in thinking that "public funding" is a euphemism for taxpayer.
(Always assuming that euphemism means what I think it means)
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.