for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Donald Trump - Have your say.

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 8:16 pm
Oldschool wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 4:37 pm So does this mean that hydroxychloroquine doesn't work?
No it means his mask didn't work.
The NPHET guys might want to take note.
He doesn't wear one, none of him or his debate prep team wore them. He was taking the drug (or claimed to be) as a preventative measure.
You just described the NPHET people there.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Joe Biden and Wife tested negative.
:D
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Trump about to be transferred to Walter Reed Medical Center in Marine One
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Do you think he's going for the sympathy vote?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

cormac wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 9:01 am Thoughts and prayers
"Prayers, the last refuge of a scoundrel" Lisa Simpson
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

blockhead wrote:Do you think he's going for the sympathy vote?
We'll all the focus has certainly switched.

I doubt it though. They have a serious medical centre in the White House. Can't do major surgery or I'm guessing incubation / ICU. But also maybe quicker access to testing.

Interesting he was given a treatment which (I understand) is still in development... And the max dosage of it as well. Wonder if that was a medical decision or pushed by him / his team

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

1. Newspaper headline. "ACHE NEWS" :lol: :lol:
2. Sodium Hypochorite mustn't have worked.
3. The treatment mentioned was antibodies extracted from blood, which seems to work but supply is limited because the source is blood.
Luke O'Neill was talking (on Pat Kenny Newstalk) about a company called Regeneron who are developing a means of manufacturing these antibodies using hamsters and that the science is reasonably well understood.
Expect to get approval in the next month.
Expect to be able to manufacture millions of doses fairly quickly.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 10:43 pm Do you think he's going for the sympathy vote?
Pigs were spotted flying over Washington yesterday.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Oldschool wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 11:30 am
blockhead wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 10:43 pm Do you think he's going for the sympathy vote?
Pigs were spotted flying over Washington yesterday.
Bit mean in the contents of Marine One.

But I'll allow it.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 10:28 pm Trump about to be transferred to Walter Reed Medical Center in Marine One
Took a few secret service agents for a wee spin around the grounds for a photo-op. I presume they'll have to be quarantined. At this rate he'll end up being protected by Abe Simpson and the Flying Hellfish
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

It looks like we're all going to be able to relax after the election.

2016 was close and in hindsight the main reason Donald won was because Hillary didn't get the vote out in the states that mattered whereas Donald did.

2020 A low poll would be in Trump's favour he will get his vote out but this time round the democratic vote will definitely be out.
In that situation there can be only one winner.
The end of an era 😂😂😂
You're gonna miss him (like a hole in the head, I know) but life is going to be a lot duller (Thank God).
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschool wrote: October 16th, 2020, 9:43 am It looks like we're all going to be able to relax after the election.

2016 was close and in hindsight the main reason Donald won was because Hillary didn't get the vote out in the states that mattered whereas Donald did.

2020 A low poll would be in Trump's favour he will get his vote out but this time round the democratic vote will definitely be out.
In that situation there can be only one winner.
The end of an era 😂😂😂
You're gonna miss him (like a hole in the head, I know) but life is going to be a lot duller (Thank God).
I'm hoping for the Gerard Butler ending. Trump goes for the nuclear football, Butler guns him down, hands it to Biden and says "I believe this is yours Mr. President" Biden replies "Where the heck are you from with that accent, oh and call me Joe"
Roll credits
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Getting less confident of Biden winning an electoral college majority. Civil unrest, BLM and the 'terrorist organisation' Antifa are not helping the Dems.
Of course if the police were policing the looters rather than the protesters, it would be a different story.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Peg Leg wrote: October 30th, 2020, 12:19 pm Getting less confident of Biden winning an electoral college majority. Civil unrest, BLM and the 'terrorist organisation' Antifa are not helping the Dems.
Of course if the police were policing the looters rather than the protesters, it would be a different story.
I'd be more worried with the Supreme Court majority bringing in some ruling against mail-in ballots, which they're already moving in on in Wisconsin a key swing state
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

It will be a long "night" with an estimated 80m votes cast before Polling Day or merely mailed but not counted (in any way) in some States. Assuming the usual 3% Poll leeway, almost every State will be delayed by at least a day in reaching an announcement.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

RoboProp wrote: October 30th, 2020, 1:19 pm
Peg Leg wrote: October 30th, 2020, 12:19 pm Getting less confident of Biden winning an electoral college majority. Civil unrest, BLM and the 'terrorist organisation' Antifa are not helping the Dems.
I'd be more worried with the Supreme Court majority bringing in some ruling against mail-in ballots, which they're already moving in on in Wisconsin a key swing state
If dems take b9th houses and the presidency, will the electoral college get the boot? System is f%~ked up!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote: October 30th, 2020, 5:37 pm
RoboProp wrote: October 30th, 2020, 1:19 pm
If dems take b9th houses and the presidency, will the electoral college get the boot? System is f%~ked up!
Really really f%~ked up, Colin Powell came third in the 2016 election despite not being on any ballot !!!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... sults.html
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

I must confess to be an US presidental election junkie. I have done the numbers every which way up and down. Given what happened with opinion polls 4 years ago saying Hilary was home and hosed. I have looked at the opinion polls and any state that gives Biden 5% or less lead I have given to Trump. Joe's margin for error is much greater than Donnie's in the states they can afford to lose. By my crunching of numbers Joe wins 279 to 259. I fear the courts will be overly involved in this one.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

John23 wrote: October 30th, 2020, 9:36 pm I must confess to be an US presidental election junkie. I have done the numbers every which way up and down. Given what happened with opinion polls 4 years ago saying Hilary was home and hosed. I have looked at the opinion polls and any state that gives Biden 5% or less lead I have given to Trump. Joe's margin for error is much greater than Donnie's in the states they can afford to lose. By my crunching of numbers Joe wins 279 to 259. I fear the courts will be overly involved in this one.
@John23.
I hope your avatar is accurate.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

CNN did an interesting report on the state of play and the likely result in each state. It did a few scenarios.
It's going to be a lot closer than appeared to be the case a month ago.
The turnout is going to be a lot higher.
That nearly always suggests changes.
So relax it's still Biden's to lose.
As for the Electoral college system.
No system is perfect but it's biggest flaw is that some states have a first past the post policy or system.
This means that a large % of the voters in those states don't get represented.
If all the states adopted a division based on %s the result would be fairer.
Biden would probably win comfortably if this was the case.
The other supposed flaw is that smaller states get a bigger say. There is a lot to be said for this.
What i really don't get is the bitching about the system as if it was Trumps fault.
Both democrats and republicans have had opportunities to change the system in the past and have chosen not to.
That's on them.
No Electoral system is perfect or even close.
Our own system has its flaw as does the UK system.
So whatever the system that's the one the candidates have to work with.
Clinton lost the last election because she didn't apply herself to the system. That says more about her than the American voter.
It will be same this time round.
This election is likely to have the largest turnout in history. That's good for democracy.
So regardless of the result it should be accepted and respected.
And before anyone asks, that applies to the candidates too.