Moderator: moderators

outcast eddie
Mullet

Re: Leicester V Leinster EPCR q/f 2022

Post by outcast eddie »

From French rugby paper - 'The Leinster war Machine'. :shock:

Tomorrow’s French rugby paper has a view of the upcoming game:
Leinstermen fresh as roses
The Dublin province has saved all its executives for two weeks. This is bound to be an advantage that will compensate for the dynamics of the Leicester crowd.
The Leinster war machine is ready, as usual, one would be tempted to say. The Dubliners are first in the Celtic League (United Championship) and have just returned from a mini-tour of South Africa where they lost twice, but narrowly, to the Sharks and the Stormers. In addition, Leo Cullen decided to field two starting XV's that were largely rejuvenated, so as not to stretch his internationals too much. The coach has made it clear that he has returned from the southern hemisphere with a sense of accomplishment after the performance of his youngsters. There will be no more than three players who will be in England on Saturday.
No one doubts that the Irish will be determined to win this European trophy, which they have already won four times. In any case, when you operate as the antechamber of the Irish team, any elimination before the semifinals is a bitter failure.
A tasty trip
The trip to Leicester will be tasty, already by the current strength of the two teams, but also by the fact that they have not met for eleven years. It was in 2011, in the quarterfinals of the Heineken Cup. Brian O'Driscoll was still playing, Jonny Sexton was already playing. The Irish had won. This opposition was even an H Cup final (2009) still won by the people of Dublin.
The assistant coach, Stuart Lancaster, clearly said that this game would be "the biggest challenge of the season". He added: "One of Leicester's strengths is that they win many games in the last five or ten minutes. We have to be patient. That's certainly the biggest challenge we've faced this season." Center Robbie Henshaw added, "We will be in the fortress. The kicking battle is going to be huge, the aerial duels as well. We need to be ahead of the game to escape their pressure. Our system of play will have to be good to counter their collective. The key for us is to stay patient. The opportunities may not come until late in the game."
Furlong, Doris, Conan, Van der Flier, Sexton, Lowe and other "lords" of Irish rugby will be fresh as roses on Saturday. Steve Borthwick has suggested that Leinster will have an advantage, while Leicester have always fielded strong teams in their home league, against Bristol last Saturday for example. A home semi-final place is at that price. Lancaster replied that his team had done the job so far, even with the Tournament draw. His reward is that little luxury. J. P
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

That's a good point. We need to play smart. Know when to take risks, when to push and when to hold back.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Leinsterimp wrote: May 5th, 2022, 11:05 pm Expecting plenty of UK based supporters to have snapped up tickets. I’m in a group of five going, 3 Leinster fans and the other two don’t follow Tigers either. Can’t wait for it will be my first game since the game that shall not be named
Fixed the above...
Dont Panic!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

ronk wrote: May 6th, 2022, 10:52 am That's a good point. We need to play smart. Know when to take risks, when to push and when to hold back.
I think we'll do the opposite. Play our normal game and go after them early. Try to get a lead and make them change the game to a more open style. We'll then use our possession game and bench to ratchet up the pressure.

That doesn't mean it'll work. If Tigers' territory game works to perfection early, then sure we'll have to be careful to not force it. But my gut is the intention is to get them chasing a lead and out of their "lockdown" game style.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

mildlyinterested wrote:Image
Tough call on Frawley, thought he was excellent in SA

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

For those who can't see the picture.

Leinster Rugby team v Leicester Tigers (appearances in brackets):

15. Hugo Keenan (41)
14. Jimmy O’Brien (48)
13. Garry Ringrose (97)
12. Robbie Henshaw (63)
11. James Lowe (62)
10. Johnny Sexton (180) CAPTAIN
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (111)

1. Andrew Porter (86)
2. Rónan Kelleher (33)
3. Tadhg Furlong (122)
4. Ross Molony (134)
5. James Ryan (53)
6. Caelan Doris (50)
7. Josh van der Flier (109)
8. Jack Conan (125)

Replacements:

16. Dan Sheehan (24)
17. Cian Healy (243)
18. Michael Ala’alatoa (20)
19. Joe McCarthy (5)
20. Rhys Ruddock (206)
21. Luke McGrath (170)
22. Ross Byrne (123)
23. Tommy O’Brien (20)

Referee – Mathieu Raynal (France)
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

STARTING XV
15 Freddie Steward [51]
14 Chris Ashton [8]
13 Matías Moroni [31]
12 Guy Porter [40]
11 Harry Potter [37]
10 George Ford [124]
9 Ben Youngs [278]
1 Ellis Genge (c) [106]
2 Julián Montoya [24]
3 Dan Cole [285]
4 Ollie Chessum [26]
5 Calum Green [87]
6 Hanro Liebenberg (vc) [54]
7 Tommy Reffell [73]
8 Jasper Wiese [40]

REPLACEMENTS
16 Nic Dolly [21]
17 James Whitcombe [22]
18 Joe Heyes [97]
19 Harry Wells [151]
20 George Martin [34]
21 Richard Wigglesworth [34]
22 Freddie Burns [98]
23 Nemani Nadolo [33]
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Barry wrote: May 6th, 2022, 11:58 am
mildlyinterested wrote:Image
Tough call on Frawley, thought he was excellent in SA

4 non capped. I was wondering why TOB was pulled from the second SA game.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Barry wrote: May 6th, 2022, 11:58 am Tough call on Frawley, thought he was excellent in SA

I agree as he covers more positions than TOB. Joe McCarthy on the bench is also a big call.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Wow, massive vote of confidence in McCarthy & TOB!

Fantastic to see.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

D4surfer wrote: May 6th, 2022, 12:01 pm
Barry wrote: May 6th, 2022, 11:58 am Tough call on Frawley, thought he was excellent in SA

I agree as he covers more positions than TOB. Joe McCarthy on the bench is also a big call.
McCarthy on the bench is a big call. Nobody here called it.
But, if I'm honest, I like it. I'm just not convinced by Baird yet, even if he weren't just back from injury.

I get the call to not pick Frawley, as Ross covers 10-12-13. It's harsh, but makes sense.
However, to pick TOB over Larmour is again a big call. Backing youth on form (not that Larmour is old).
Last edited by curates_egg on May 6th, 2022, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

TOB covers 11 to 14
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Yeah really disappointed for frawley but team overall looks great. Have to say the Leicester team now that it’s named looks pretty stacked too should be a humdinger. Dan kelly missing out could be crucial
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Looks like we are going for the early lead, a Chris Ashton hat trick, then Nadolo comes on to finish the job off. Safe journey over to those travelling......................... 8)
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

George Martin back for Leicester is a big one. They've got four locks in their squad.

Going for Wigglesworth & Nadolo are interesting calls too.

I still think we have a extra bit of class, particularly in our backline and particularly in our centres.

Would fancy Lowe against Ashton I must say, although I hope James doesn't try to do it all himself and overplay which he can to at times.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

the spoofer wrote: May 6th, 2022, 12:00 pm
4 non capped.
? ? ?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'm really interested to see if Baird is injured or if that's a selection choice. If the latter, it's a brilliant vindication of McCarthy.

If anyone didn't already, I think we can take it that Ross Molony is seen by the coaches as first choice by now and Dev isn't going to be in a knockout 23 unless injury occurs.
Last edited by wixfjord on May 6th, 2022, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Looking at our starting XV, I can understand why our opposition fans don't like us. Just an embarrassment of riches, 13 of that team would start for Ireland. I know people are saying the players haven't played a lot together recently for Leinster, but then they did play a lot together over the 6Ns.

Leicester are a serious unit and their home record is immense. This really is squeaky bum, if we go over there and win it, it will really be up there with one of the all time great Leinster performances.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Xanthippe wrote: May 6th, 2022, 12:19 pm
the spoofer wrote: May 6th, 2022, 12:00 pm
4 non capped.
? ? ?
JOB, TOB, McCarthy & Molony ?